Cushioned belts?

Knifemaker.ca

Dealer - Purveyor
Has anyone tried cushioned belts? I have a supplier asking me to represent them, but I am getting rounded edges in trying them. They do provide a nice polish, but at what cost? As an aside, they also make my VFD crazy, but the grinder with the DC motor and variable speed works fine. Any feedback from the pound is appreciated.

Rob!

Last edited:
I know a maker that uses a belt over a scoch bright belt , But I can't remember what hes doing it for. And yes it makes the scotch brite belt a little buckled.

Yes! I recently received in a order a couple of test belts from Scott at Tru-grit Ontario
of Deerfos 2000 grit Padded test belts.
I was so happy with them I just added 10 of them to my last belt order

I have used these for final finish work on Culinary knife sharpening, And they work GREAT!
The padding gets rid of the thump bump problem. " Not to be confused with Bruce Bump:biggrin: "

These work very well both slack belt sharpening and on my Hardcore Cushioned Platen.
at a price of less than half what the 3M 2000 Grit belts cost, Under $4.00.

You do have to watch your pressure when slack belt sharpening as I did have one POP cut as I applied a bit to much pressure. The sweet spot seems to be a light gentle pressure for slack belt sharpening and I used a 2000 grit on Friday to finish sharpen about 20 knives and the same one was going to still be usable for a few more knives. This was at two passes per side, alternating back and forth.

Deerfos Ceramic & Padded belts are becoming my choices for a Quality belt at a very reasonable price.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Thanks Laurence. I can see them being great for polishing a convex edge, but how do you keep your flats - particularly near the spine - from also 'rounding out'? To exaggerate what I'm trying to ask, if you used a shoe-shine motion across a blade, the edges would round out. The cusioned belt is a lesser degree of the same thing. Are you only using them for sharpening, or also for polishing flat grinds? Also, what grits are you using? MY problems were happening at 400g

Rob!

Thanks Laurence. I can see them being great for polishing a convex edge, but how do you keep your flats - particularly near the spine - from also 'rounding out'? To exaggerate what I'm trying to ask, if you used a shoe-shine motion across a blade, the edges would round out. The cusioned belt is a lesser degree of the same thing. Are you only using them for sharpening, or also for polishing flat grinds? Also, what grits are you using? MY problems were happening at 400g

Rob!

Rob,

It's the angle that you hold the knife at that keeps the spine & flats away from from the belts.
It does take a bit of work and a strong hold to sharpen with these by slack belt.

My left hand is the one I have to watch, I landed on that wrist at about 30 plus miles a hour over the front of a motorcycle when I was a teen.

I am using the 2000 Grit only for sharpening so far in the Deerfos Cushion belt & that is the only Deerfos Padded belt I have used yet..

Are we talking about the same line of belts? This Padded 2000G and the 50G & 120G Ceramic are the ones I am impressed with.

There A/O belts are inexpensive and I have use the 120G & 220G, The Hermes A/O Belts are a better value than these.

What kind of problem are you having with the 400G belt?

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com/

I will buy one from you next time I do an order. I will try almost anything once, if it heals I may try again. :) I have been trying to do a mild convex for my blades. I would think these may work for what I want

Laurence, yes they are the Deerfos. My supplier said he has a commercial knifemaking outfit that uses them for blade finish - not just sharpening, but whole blade finish grinding including the flats. They go from 400 to 1200 to 2000 - and damned if it does give a nice finish, but especially that 400 belt rounds the edges of whatever flat I'm working on. They say to slack grind instead of using the platen, but that makes even less sense to me.

I can see these as a kickass belt for sharpening and polishing the edge, but I'm trying to figure out this flat finishing. Apparently, it's working for someone.

Brad, if you've got an order coming up, I'll add a few of these in for you to try if you'll give me feedback. Hey Frank - you following this? You're always up for a guinea pig assignment. :)

Rob!

Laurence, yes they are the Deerfos. My supplier said he has a commercial knifemaking outfit that uses them for blade finish - not just sharpening, but whole blade finish grinding including the flats. They go from 400 to 1200 to 2000 - and damned if it does give a nice finish, but especially that 400 belt rounds the edges of whatever flat I'm working on. They say to slack grind instead of using the platen, but that makes even less sense to me.

I can see these as a kickass belt for sharpening and polishing the edge, but I'm trying to figure out this flat finishing. Apparently, it's working for someone.

Brad, if you've got an order coming up, I'll add a few of these in for you to try if you'll give me feedback. Hey Frank - you following this? You're always up for a guinea pig assignment. :)

Rob!

Rob,
A sales rep will tell you most anything! I know, I was one for years!:biggrin:
There may be someone grinding & Finishing knives with these belts? Where are they and what does the final product look like?

I am not knocking the belts. Just the source of the info!

One of the ways to do this is to slack belt grind & Finish over sized knives then grind the spine back to as square as you want it.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Yes, I do like to try different belts. I do like what Lawrence has pointed out about how they work for sharpening. I've been using a 30 Norton before going to the buffer. Yes I will have to get me one or two sizes to try. I am looking to try something for a "nice" (?) machine finish on hollow grinds. Rob those new 100s and 65s are awsome belts !!!! They just keep on going and going . Wonderful !!! And I grind all of my folder blades after heat treat. Frank

I'll send you one of each of the samples they sent me. If you can figure how to grind without rounding corners, they could be a real nice addition. It would be harder to justify only for sharpening.

I'm a terrible artist, but this may help show the problem I have when a blade is pressed against a cushioned belt. Actually, it's probably way more complex than this but....

cushion.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on the Norax Ceramics.

Last edited:
OK,
So Rob, What wrong with taking some of the spine edge off? Like I said you can over size it and then grind down the spine to the shoulder you want.

Or try this, I guess you are grinding with the edge up? So put your pressure in the top 40% percent instead of the middle. This should lighten the pressure on the spine when grinding /Finishing and round out the spine a bit less.

See if this helps?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Rob, I would like to test one of these. This belt may be PERFECT fit for my needs. Do you have a couple I can buy or can you point me to someone who does?

Thanks
Randy

Guess I'm just too pig headed and set in my ways. When I grind a flat, I want it flat. That's why I don't use crowned disc on the disc sander - or cork backing. What Laurence says about grinding the spine down some makes some sense though. Feels like cheating, but probably more like just plain smart. :)

I appreciate the testing offers. I've had a few Canadian customers offer to test belts - some of whom do a lot of knives. That's probably more than fair since I'm not even supposed to sell into the states. (Insurance prohibits). Sounds like tru-grit might have some in though.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try your suggestion Laurence.

Rob!

I have used a leather platen in conjunction with standard belts on occasion - effective way to ease sharp angles.

Guess I'm just too pig headed and set in my ways. When I grind a flat, I want it flat. That's why I don't use crowned disc on the disc sander - or cork backing. What Laurence says about grinding the spine down some makes some sense though. Feels like cheating, but probably more like just plain smart. :)

I appreciate the testing offers. I've had a few Canadian customers offer to test belts - some of whom do a lot of knives. That's probably more than fair since I'm not even supposed to sell into the states. (Insurance prohibits). Sounds like tru-grit might have some in though.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try your suggestion Laurence.

Rob!

Rob,
Flat is all relative! LOL! Flat is as flat does!

Yes! Scott & Ryan @ Tru-grit have some of the Deerfos padded belts in stock
http://www.trugrit.com/ I don't think they are on their site yet?
Just give them a call.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Who said the Canadian mail service was so slow besides me ? The belts are here and I will do some "testing" in the days to come. Hmmm ? Maybe ? Frank

Well, I did get into some possible use situations and did remember to give them a try. The 1200 was the only one I used after tring the others.
I found these gave me no help at all in any of the places I put it to use. Certainly at this time I know I wouldn't order any, but once again I thank Rob at Canadian knifemakers supply for giving me some for a try. Frank.

Well, I did get into some possible use situations and did remember to give them a try. The 1200 was the only one I used after tring the others.
I found these gave me no help at all in any of the places I put it to use. Certainly at this time I know I wouldn't order any, but once again I thank Rob at Canadian knifemakers supply for giving me some for a try. Frank.

No help at all?
I have been pleased with using the 1200 Grit then the 2000 grit for Sharpening.
They work great!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Did you a get a chance to try them on flats Frank? The distributor is suggesting they are a finishing belt. It would tie up a few grand to get into a new belt line, and I'm not sure I see that happening just for sharpening. Sure do appreciate you trying them out, as well as the honest feedback.

Rob!

Back