Arrowhead/Points/Indian Artifacts

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Bubba-San......Thats what I am talking about buddy. Jeebus!!!!!! Nice ones man. I see drills/axes/knives/points and just a bunch of goodness2thumbs

I plan on having a nice collection one day and just from finding what I have in a short amount of time I know its possible.

I look forward to seeing more of your finds Bubba! Thats why I started this thread...I want to see and hear about it all2thumbs2thumbs

Keep em coming guysrockon

Chris

I still have quite a few prehistoric points and knives , most large points that are sometimes called spears are actually knives. I will post a few I have several thousand points most were found by me near st. Louis . they range in age from historic 1700 ad to about 12,ooo bc. If some of you guys like them I can post a few every week . enjoy, I wore out many pairs of tennis shoes walking the plowed fields in missouri and Illinois near cahokia mounds . been looking since I was 15 years old . Those were the good ol days Bubba

I said I would post some better stuff but, here is a close up pic of some I posted earlier , the first one is a Dalton point from Crawford co. Mo. second one is a fine Sedalia point found on Missouri river near Sedalia Mo. The last 2 are Etley points found in St louis co. at Schmidt site . The Scmidt site also Known as Hayden archeological site after the developer. Produced over 10,000 whole arrowheads it was like a arrowhead free for all . That's where I received most of my collection from . It was a arrowhead mfg site . Unbelievable once in a lifetime opportunity. you can google the hayden archeological site I think ? It is well published. the Dark Grey Dalton on left is about 10, 000 bc. in this area. Jim Harl was main archeologist on site. Also of mention if you Google the site . The developer tore the site up before he realized that it was an Indian village , The construction co didn't save the site they tore it up .I knew Mr and Mrs Schmidt and I hunted the site for years before it was excavated . The state filed suit to make him stop digging it up with earth movers . A slightly different version than the "saved" version . Joe Harl saved the site by filing the suit.

Last edited:
Well I don't have anything spectacular. I do have what I believe to be a youths hand axe and an arrowhead which I found on the farm where I live now. There is Flint all over the farm here. Part of the hand axe is broken but not much.

100_0714.jpg

100_0738.jpg

If you live close to a creek or water way ? you may have a mound our village close by . I always look at the southern exposure sites thats where they lived most of the time .If you have lots of chert / flint I would say look in the winter time for rises on the high points of your land near creek . sounds promising . could be a goldmine ! also for small rises on bottom grounds. good luck

Nice ones Poco!!! I agree with Bubba, if you have chips etc its a good sigh your in a good location to score some good ol history!

If your like me, just read up online as much as possible. Alot of tips and pointers as well as identification etc.

I would get back out there and have a good time.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

The big blades/points etc is what I am dreaming of in a find. Your finds are for sure motivating Bubba. Keep them coming:D

I said I would post some better stuff but, here is a close up pic of some I posted earlier , the first one is a Dalton point from Crawford co. Mo. second one is a fine Sedalia point found on Missouri river near Sedalia Mo. The last 2 are Etley points found in St louis co. at Schmidt site . The Scmidt site also Known as Hayden archeological site after the developer. Produced over 10,000 whole arrowheads it was like a arrowhead free for all . That's where I received most of my collection from . It was a arrowhead mfg site . Unbelievable once in a lifetime opportunity. you can google the hayden archeological site I think ? It is well published. the Dark Grey Dalton on left is about 10, 000 bc. in this area. Jim Harl was main archeologist on site. Also of mention if you Google the site . The developer tore the site up before he realized that it was an Indian village , The construction co didn't save the site they tore it up .I knew Mr and Mrs Schmidt and I hunted the site for years before it was excavated . The state filed suit to make him stop digging it up with earth movers . A slightly different version than the "saved" version . Joe Harl saved the site by filing the suit.

Bubba,that's some of the best looking points i've seen.I'll take some pic of what I have,and post it latter today.
Here's a little story you might find interesting,

My wife and I use to love hunting arrowheads,and other artifacts,but have not done any since I been disabled,anyway,about 6 years ago we were looking on a place,next to the Pearl River,here in South Ms.It was an area that belong to a friend,that also liked to hunt for arrowheads.We were looking in a plowed field,when I picked up a the tip of a point.It was the best looking piece I had ever put my hands on.At that time I did not have very many pieces,and we had a small arrowhead and Indian artifact show,that was to be in town.I mounted what we had on a board,and brought it to the show.It was not long before my friend came in with his dad.He went around to where my things were,and when he noticed that point,he kept saying that was the tip off his.Well long story short,the next morning,I brought it to his place of business,and would you believe it fit like a puzzle.He had found the other part 9 years eairler in the same plowed field.The entire point was 7 1/8'' long and 1 1/2'' wide.He offered to buy the part that I had,but I said he was kind enough to let us hunt on his land,and I let him have it.He was proud to have it.

Sorry if this was to long.

God bless,Keith

Keith,

I have heard very similar stories....That is a great story and good of you to give him the other half!

I look forward to seeing your finds:D

Chris

Bubba,that's some of the best looking points i've seen.I'll take some pic of what I have,and post it latter today.
Here's a little story you might find interesting,

My wife and I use to love hunting arrowheads,and other artifacts,but have not done any since I been disabled,anyway,about 6 years ago we were looking on a place,next to the Pearl River,here in South Ms.It was an area that belong to a friend,that also liked to hunt for arrowheads.We were looking in a plowed field,when I picked up a the tip of a point.It was the best looking piece I had ever put my hands on.At that time I did not have very many pieces,and we had a small arrowhead and Indian artifact show,that was to be in town.I mounted what we had on a board,and brought it to the show.It was not long before my friend came in with his dad.He went around to where my things were,and when he noticed that point,he kept saying that was the tip off his.Well long story short,the next morning,I brought it to his place of business,and would you believe it fit like a puzzle.He had found the other part 9 years eairler in the same plowed field.The entire point was 7 1/8'' long and 1 1/2'' wide.He offered to buy the part that I had,but I said he was kind enough to let us hunt on his land,and I let him have it.He was proud to have it.

Sorry if this was to long.

God bless,Keith

I look for them every chance I get. I found one in a creekbed, the most beautiful and perfect arrowhead I ever found. A pal was holding it and looking at it when he dropped it on the concrete and broke it in half. :eek::mad: He wasn't even upset when he realized he broke it.

Advice, be careful who handles your valuables and never let anyone handle fragiles while standing on hard surface.

John, I would have lost it....lol Thats just disrespectful. I guess some people cant appreciate stuff like this.....sorry to hear about that, good thing is there are plenty more to be had!!!

I look for them every chance I get. I found one in a creekbed, the most beautiful and perfect arrowhead I ever found. A pal was holding it and looking at it when he dropped it on the concrete and broke it in half. :eek::mad: He wasn't even upset when he realized he broke it.

Advice, be careful who handles your valuables and never let anyone handle fragiles while standing on hard surface.

few more points

A few more points from my collection . the larger one was a knife , you can tell by the serrations and bevels, the blade is slightly twisted . it was a much bigger blade maybe 6 " or so . the white drill / perferator was found by my wife near Salem, mo. about 2 years ago . it was made from a very old style point judging from the base . the rest are small arrow points , The small point were actually shot from a bow and some were used with atl atl (a dart throwing device). you could take deer and most normal game with those small points, the point was merely a device to pierce the skin and allow shaft which was larger to increase wound size . the dart shafts were up to 6 feet long .hope you enjoy .

Nice ones Bubba.

That knife is a monster. I have been hoping to find a large knife or Dalton.

I have yet to make it back out yet....might take my brother down to the river while he is here for the holidays.

You got a nice collection there Bubba.

Chris

A few more points from my collection . the larger one was a knife , you can tell by the serrations and bevels, the blade is slightly twisted . it was a much bigger blade maybe 6 " or so . the white drill / perferator was found by my wife near Salem, mo. about 2 years ago . it was made from a very old style point judging from the base . the rest are small arrow points , The small point were actually shot from a bow and some were used with atl atl (a dart throwing device). you could take deer and most normal game with those small points, the point was merely a device to pierce the skin and allow shaft which was larger to increase wound size . the dart shafts were up to 6 feet long .hope you enjoy .

I have to round up some more pics but here is a big Hopewell next to a recent knife. I found this Hopewell in a major thunderstorm I was hugging the tree line and this baby called my name. It is a translucent Flint Ridge flint 3.75" long. I found a super fine half of a gorget a few feet away. I will get more pics together soon.

Attachments

• buckeyeburl&damascus.jpg
    buckeyeburl&damascus.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 15
I have to round up some more pics but here is a big Hopewell next to a recent knife. I found this Hopewell in a major thunderstorm I was hugging the tree line and this baby called my name. It is a translucent Flint Ridge flint 3.75" long. I found a super fine half of a gorget a few feet away. I will get more pics together soon.

Hmm nice piece , I have a few corner notched leaf shaped hopewells one of my favorite points. goes well with the knife. Thanks chris I know you will find that majic blade if you keep lookin.

Last edited:
Here's a few of my small collection. All of these come from the Pictou, Nova Scotia coastal region.

possumlodge017.jpg

possumlodge021.jpg

possumlodge020.jpg

possumlodge018.jpg

Nice ones Dacks! I need to find me a drill soon too. Cool looking.

Whats the large piece you have? Large scrapper?

Chris - The big piece was described to me by a professor at Cape Breton Univ as a "hand adz(e)".

Last edited:
Chris , check plowed fields after several heavy rains . Sometimes , points will be sitting up on pedestals . Look for fields with a lot of chert chips . This frequently indicates old camp sites . Once you find a field with points, keep checking yr after yr. Always get permission from owner. He might hunt & collect points also ! Good hunting ! I've been hunting & collecting them for 60 yrs.

Joe

Joe,

60 years....I bet you have a nice collection!!! I am going on about 3-4 months....haha Its good fun though....You just cant beat river time. If I find something that is cool...if not being down by the water is rewarding enough. Its cold as all hell here but hope to get my brother down there while he is in from California.

I have yet to hunt fields yet....But once I find a couple near natural water source I will try my luck!!!

When you get around to it, post some of them finds buddy.2thumbs

Best,

Chris

Chris , check plowed fields after several heavy rains . Sometimes , points will be sitting up on pedestals . Look for fields with a lot of chert chips . This frequently indicates old camp sites . Once you find a field with points, keep checking yr after yr. Always get permission from owner. He might hunt & collect points also ! Good hunting ! I've been hunting & collecting them for 60 yrs.

Joe

Back