Anyone Ever Tried to Make One of These?

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
My son in law has put me to task to see if I can pull off this knife. Looking for input from anyone who may have tried this...

Steel type and thickness would be my first question. I'm not going to waste any Damascus, that's for sure!

IMG_2545.jpgmtech-call-of-duty1_1800x1800.jpg

Has to be a video game knife of some sorts. I would start with 3/16ths thick of whatever I had in the shop. If I were gonna try that, I would do the obvious. Make sure the offset section is at least 2 inches wide and grind the edges separately? If you grind freehand, I guess you could do it as a continuous edge I would wager that is how the gold version above was ground. Not that I would make one of those but please post pictures, I would be interested in how you get it done and how difficult it was.

Tell him for the $34 the knife costs new the cost to custom build is too much. Here's the gold version on Amazon
Tell him this is the best blade since it has a "gold titanium-coated tanto blade" :)
The first picture is actually the one he sent me. That knife is sold by a company called Forseti Steel and sells for $150. He wants a knife made by me as well. I have no idea why he wants one like these...

I'll give a build thread serious consideration. I'm waiting on a piece of steel and a $15 POS knife similar to these to get a look at before I jump in!

Has to be a video game knife of some sorts. I would start with 3/16ths thick of whatever I had in the shop. If I were gonna try that, I would do the obvious. Make sure the offset section is at least 2 inches wide and grind the edges separately? If you grind freehand, I guess you could do it as a continuous edge I would wager that is how the gold version above was ground. Not that I would make one of those but please post pictures, I would be interested in how you get it done and how difficult it was.

I have a piece of .171 steel on the way. That's pretty close to 3/16ths! Nothing in the shop fit the bill thickness wise and anything close was too expensive for a test piece.

I've reground a couple of those blade styles... It was developed by Tom Brown in his Tracker knife (for bushcraft) if I'm not mistaken.

One important thing to pay attention to when grinding is the transition... Don't do it like they have it in the pic or it will snag and not cut an thing. Instead it should be more like your second Pic where there is a swooping transition (called a quarter round).

I've reground a couple of those blade styles... It was developed by Tom Brown in his Tracker knife (for bushcraft) if I'm not mistaken.

One important thing to pay attention to when grinding is the transition... Don't do it like they have it in the pic or it will snag and not cut an thing. Instead it should be more like your second Pic where there is a swooping transition (called a quarter round).
That is a good point I did not think of trying to cut with the entire blade at once.

Like others said that knife sure looks overly complicated, trying to combine several knives one.
But I'm curious, why are there clothes rack hooks on the top? So you can hold the hangers with your knife while the shirts dry???

Back