A quick look at one of my projects...

Loving following along... Thanks so much for putting it together, John. Looking forward to seeing you in April.

Jeremy

That guard is going to be super cool!!! the simmetry is perfect, also the pin holes are neatly arranged, even if the won't show in the finished piece. It is good to know you have the same quality inside as the quality you can see outside!
John, regarding the hardened dowel pins, they sell them like so, or one has to harden them?

That guard is going to be super cool!!! the simmetry is perfect, also the pin holes are neatly arranged, even if the won't show in the finished piece. It is good to know you have the same quality inside as the quality you can see outside!
John, regarding the hardened dowel pins, they sell them like so, or one has to harden them?

You can get the dowel pins as is. I get mine from Enco. They have stainless and carbon steel. The carbon ones are harder and list a tighter tolerance for accuracy.

Not trying to leave you guys hangin'. This guard has consumed most of my time the last few days. A lot of tedious work.

O wow. Is another work of art. The scalloping done with a knife edged file? I know its a filing design with the exquisite way you craft things

O wow. Is another work of art. The scalloping done with a knife edged file? I know its a filing design with the exquisite way you craft things

Thanks Walt. It's a combination of files.....three corner, round taper, and knife edge. And this is where a REALLY top end set of needle files is a must. :)

No point in filing the top of the shells if you're not going to do the undersides too. :D Might as well make them as authentic as is reasonable for steel shells. ;)

John, I hope you are keeping track of your man hours on this one, I'm very curious how many you end up with.

It's a lot! I haven't been keeping track really. I know there's been a bunch of time in filework. I've spent two days on this guard and there's probably another half day left to finish it.

John,

awesome work, great looking clam shell I love these WIP threads especially when the knife is going to be mine :3::3::3:

those shells are super high end, by the time you are finished i won't be surprise if you would find a little steel pearl inside...thats where the detent balls came from!!! ;)

This is very good thred. Very informative to see how a top of the line maker puts his knives together. Thanks for sharing John.

Am working my way up the ladder of needs vs wants for this. So what brand of needle files do you recommend?

Very informative to see how a top of the line maker puts his knives together.

Top of the line maker??? Where? Let's get him!!! :D

You guys give me too much credit. But thanks all for the comments. I do appreciate it.

Rick, I'm glad you like it so far. Should be pretty neat when it's all put together.

The needle files I'm using on this are Friedrick Dick brand needle files. I have two sets in two different sizes and finishes. They're over $100 per set I think but SOOOOO worth it.

Thanks again for following along guys.

too much credit??? i don't think so....i'm not only talking about the cleanliness of your work, but IMHO your knives exibit a rare sense of proportions and flow

Back