2nd Annual Hammer and Folder In 4, 5 2012

Just registered and paid yesterday, Boss. Can't wait to meet some new people, get to see some old friends and learn a bunch. Beth is a real sweet person. Looking forward to seeing what Mr. Bump has up his sleeve. I'm bringing 3 cans of beer and 2 cases of bug spray .............................no, I got that backwards.

I's gonna be neat to finally meet ya Denny.

I once went to a Montana hammer-in that you could use more bug spray than beer. One of the lighter wieght guys was nearly carried off by skeeters. :what!:
Just registered and paid yesterday, Boss. Can't wait to meet some new people, get to see some old friends and learn a bunch. Beth is a real sweet person. Looking forward to seeing what Mr. Bump has up his sleeve. I'm bringing 3 cans of beer and 2 cases of bug spray .............................no, I got that backwards.

Last edited:
don't worry Denny i work for a beer distributor, just give me suggestions since boss said no more gasoline like last year lol. Now mosquito spray on the other hand would be a great ideal i got eaten alive soon as the sun fell, cant wait to meet everyone, should be a blast!

I'm planning on bringing my hydraulic press for Bruce to use. What would you guys like to know about slipjoint building?

Keith, I haven't finished a slip joint yet. I have one on the bench with the pivot drilled but thats were it sets. I guess the whole spring to blade relation puzzles me some. How much tension is enough or not enough?How do you set the tension? Im gonna try and finish this up so i will know exactly what questions to ask in Aug.
Doug

Keith,
I got a kit at the Hammer in last year and I plan to have almost done by this year and maybe you can give me a few pointers on the finishing touches.

Thanks,
Steve

Keith, I haven't finished a slip joint yet. I have one on the bench with the pivot drilled but thats were it sets. I guess the whole spring to blade relation puzzles me some. How much tension is enough or not enough?How do you set the tension? Im gonna try and finish this up so i will know exactly what questions to ask in Aug.
Doug
Doug, I've been thinking about a making a tutorial on the way I make slipjoints. Hopefully after the first of the year.

I've only done a handful of fixed blades as it is.. and would love to learn the 'whole' process in a slip joint that would be awesome... !! of course within the allotted time :D

Your just killing me with this Boss !!!

A star studded Dog event and only 2 months after Bladeshow :sad:

Lets see... I've already sold my soul and first born, LOL. Got nuttin left

Maybe the wife has been secretly wanting a Minnesota vacation ????? Bwaaa ha ha.

-Josh

Last edited:
We have 22 spots left. If you would like to get signed up please contact me.
Also for anyone that is looking for hotel information or any other information for the Mankato area let me know.
Hotels will fill up quickly for this weekend, it is Rib Fest and usually Vikings Training camp starts.
let me know if there are any questions!
Beth

Hi Beth, That rib fest sounds interesting. Do they have that close bye? After a long day of knife making know how, I can think of Nothing better than a cold beverage and some barbecue ribs!

Last edited:
There is the Days Inn that is right down the road from us, their rates depending on when you book can be from 65.00 to 75.00 bucks. Their number is 507-387-3332
There is also the Rodeway Inn, which you would have to go across the highway. There rates are between 50.00 and 75.00 bucks. Their number is 507-345-8800

RibFest is about 5 miles from our building. They bring in a bunch of different vendors, usually have a band playing at night, and yes cold beverages.

Slipjoint Class

I just had BossDog send me some slipjoint Zulu folder kits so I can prepare them for a folder class. Last year I just demonstrated making one but this year I'll offer the opportunity for some hands on folder building.
I'll be taking the first 4 folks who respond here to assist in building one of these Zulus. If we don't get them done by the end of the weekend I'll give you all the coaching I can via the internet so you can finish on your own.

1)Doug
2)ArtB
3)
4)

Last edited:
We may need to change the title of this thread, it still has me as an instructor.
I'm so sorry I cant make it to this great event. It seems that time is the most valuable thing for me and I had to drastically cut back on trips away from my shop and family. I honestly thought Kaye would love to visit the Mall of America afterward when I originally signed up but after a heated discussion or two just decided to call it off. After 36 years of marriage I thought I could make a decision like that but apparently not.
I would like nothing better than to meet some of my favorite knifedogs but it wont be this year. I'll try to better schedule next years trips and try again.
It really sounds like a great place to be and I hear the food and fellowship is the best anywhere. You guys have fun!

Sorry Bruce, I overlooked that thread title. I have edited that out.

Back