Zito

naw...maybe the Prof is gradin' math papers...yeah..when he first joined his excitement was infectious! His humor's still great...lol.

Ty Adams is another one I miss...I PMed him and he is absolutely swamped at his business...but healthy and all...

I’m 100% here lol. I have honestly just been super busy making knives. My crazy friends have talked me into MAYBE getting a table at the next gun and knife show. It’s in August and I’m trying to get enough inventory. I know this all sounds nuts lol but I MIGHT do it. I’m working myself like a dog lol just in case. I’ve been missing y’all for sure and will be posting pics of some new knives really soon.

I’m 100% here lol. I have honestly just been super busy making knives. My crazy friends have talked me into MAYBE getting a table at the next gun and knife show. It’s in August and I’m trying to get enough inventory. I know this all sounds nuts lol but I MIGHT do it. I’m working myself like a dog lol just in case. I’ve been missing y’all for sure and will be posting pics of some new knives really soon.
Way to rock Kevin! Goals make for good progress!

another guy who's posts and excellent craftsmanship I really enjoy...and haven't seen much lately...is John Wilson...him and Ty are two of my favorite "Newer" makers...can't really use "newer" due to rapidly changing experience level! Their stuff is really nice!

another guy who's posts and excellent craftsmanship I really enjoy...and haven't seen much lately...is John Wilson...him and Ty are two of my favorite "Newer" makers...can't really use "newer" due to rapidly changing experience level! Their stuff is really nice!

That is a fantastic compliment and I sincerely appreciate being thought of by my fellow makers. I just got back from taking the kids to visit my Dad. I take them to see him for two weeks each summer and they get to run around in the country and spend time with their cousins doing crazy country-kid stuff that they don't get to do much of here at home. The rub is that I have to go outside and stand on a hill to get a cell phone signal and even then it's more like sending a message via shortwave than anything else. Trying to check in on KnifeDogs is a pipe dream!

But after two weeks of gigging frogs and taking turns driving the tractor, we have returned.

I did complete my first couple of slipjoints before I left, and was in such a hurry to complete them that I did not get to take good pictures of them. My first one came out pretty good and looks nice but I didn't get enough spring tension on it and it doesn't walk and talk. It is still perfectly functional and became my personal pocket knife. The second one walks and talks and looks good, but I got my angles a little wonky and the blade opens up a tiny bit past straight. The third one came out as perfect as I can make a knife. The blade is a tiny bit stiff to open but is certainly no nail breaker. That stiffness makes her walk and talk like a song! That knife went to my Dad for Father's Day.

My Dad wasted no time putting his new knife to use. As you can see, it already looks a year old. This was several days after getting it, riding around in his pocket with loose change and being laid on his work bench 100 times. I thought it would live in his sock drawer and he'd take it out to show people... nope.

My Dad has carried a pocketknife every day of his life. As a kid, I watched him pull his knife out countless times a day for every task under the sun. I think he is a huge reason for giving me a love for knives.

I wished I’d have had time to take better pictures of it but I literally had the truck packed and ready to go before I finished this knife. I put the edge on it and then I jumped in the truck with the kids and drove 13 hours to his house.

As you can see, it's not perfect. In the photo you can see the pivot pin. The pin and scratches are not that obvious in real life.

Lesson learned- get the bolsters darn near finished and THEN countersink the holes and peen the pin. It looked great until I did the final finish and sanded away the peened part. Live and learn.

Attachments

• D812DCB8-C58B-4050-B4B4-C29199A71977.jpeg
    D812DCB8-C58B-4050-B4B4-C29199A71977.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Glad you had a good time...always fun to share the love of knives with family. Happy Fathers Day

BTW nice little pocket knife, too. Nice color and grain flow. The lighter parts of the wood sure shine.

John I think you are selling yourself way short when you start picking at the pin. I have seen many store bought, that show the pins. Love the story about your Dad carrying a pocketknife every day of his life. Your knife is fantastic and I am sure your Dad beams ear to ear every time he slides it into his pocket!!

There was a lady DJ on the local radio station and she was complaining about the guy she was dating always having a pencil behind his ear. I called into the station and told her. When I get up in the morning my pocketknife is picked up off the dresser and it goes in my pocket. When I get ready to go out the door my hat goes on and my pencil behind my ear. Now I am ready for work!!! :)

Thanks very much, guys.

Cliff, I am the same as you. I would imagine most of us have a similar routine as you get ready to leave the house. I do the pocket-pat: keys, wallet, knife, phone... good to go! I feel absolutely naked without a knife, so much so that when I have to fly somewhere with only a carry-on my first stop is to the local hardware store to buy a little pocket knife. Of course I forget on the way to the airport. I can't count how many little swiss army keychain knives I've donated to the TSA. grrrrrrrrr!

Back