Worked in the shop

Gliden07

Last night got to work on some of my knife projects for more than 15 minutes. Got the scales on to my Sister EDC, Reground my Brothers EDC and started to finish sand it, started to rough in the Baby Bowie for my Dad and roughed in a new hunter blank with my Bubble Jig. Messed it up though Jig is gonna take a little getting use to. Also cant seem to get me grinder to track right? It seems to go ok then it will just go all wonky. The tracking knob adjusts it but the belt will track out and I'll bring it back out it will go again. I don't get it. Anyway It was nice to put about 4 hours in doing something I like to do vs not!!

Is your tracking bolt coming loose as you are working? And do you have enough tension on the belt?

Is your tracking bolt coming loose as you are working? And do you have enough tension on the belt?

No the tracking bolt doesn't seem to be coming loose. and I have tried loose and tighter tension on the belts. I bought the belts from Super grit so there good belts. I have to sit down and figure it out? The only thing I can figure is the wheels? They are glass filled nylon but Oregon Blade maker says that's all they use on their own machines and they were better than Aluminum wheels. They sold both and the glass filled were less money so I believed them. I would have spent the extra $$ on the Aluminum wheels at the point I was at cost wise for my grinder.

I hope you get it figured out. I know it must be frustrating. It's hard enough to get grinds looking good when the grinder is working perfectly. Good luck and glad you got some time to work in the shop!

Is it a home built grinder?? I was having a similar tracking problem with mine and ended up with some shims of .006 to correct the allignment between the idler wheel on the platen plate and the plate itself. The belt would track nicely on the 12 in, the 4 in and the 1 1/4 in wheels and the slack belt tool head, but the platen plate tool head would track untill I came into one side or the other and it would jump into and then away from the plunge line if the tension was not just right, so there were a few blades that had to have the plunge lines re-done.
I took some time and played with the allignment using the shims and now it tracks true

Is it a home built grinder?? I was having a similar tracking problem with mine and ended up with some shims of .006 to correct the allignment between the idler wheel on the platen plate and the plate itself. The belt would track nicely on the 12 in, the 4 in and the 1 1/4 in wheels and the slack belt tool head, but the platen plate tool head would track untill I came into one side or the other and it would jump into and then away from the plunge line if the tension was not just right, so there were a few blades that had to have the plunge lines re-done.
I took some time and played with the allignment using the shims and now it tracks true

Not home built its an Reeder Grinder. Very nice machine all CNC machined Aircraft Aluminum and Steel for the work table. Greg Reeder said he would call me to help with the problem. I just have to find the time. I work all day when they are open. They also did a set up video on YouTube and I followed it but I still have some issues. I'm sure its something with the wheels or something I'm doing? It will track good then I will load the belt and it will take off to the right and stay there, I will correct it with the tracking knob and it will slowly track to the left and hang off the platen wheels on the left side, repeat knob adjustment and off the right etc... etc... etc...

sounds like an alignment issue to me. It could be as simple as a bearing not seated properly in one of the wheels. Since the belt is not immediately running off the grinder, the misalignment is probably very very small. I assume you've taken a *good* straightedge to the wheels? Checked centerlines?

sounds like an alignment issue to me. It could be as simple as a bearing not seated properly in one of the wheels. Since the belt is not immediately running off the grinder, the misalignment is probably very very small. I assume you've taken a *good* straightedge to the wheels? Checked centerlines?

That's the next step! I've set the grinder up like they show on YouTube. I'm gonna tear it down again and start over.

Have you thought about sending it back. I know it's difficult to pay for something and it not work properly.

Have you thought about sending it back. I know it's difficult to pay for something and it not work properly.

Not yet really need to spend some time with it. Been running like a Chicken with my head cut off!! Just a lot of stuff going on.

Back