Wood bleach

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
Recently I started a post about dyeing leather and wood bleach was mentioned to use as a cleaner.

Can anyone post up the mixture and process of using it?

I don't want to ruin or mess anything up

Oxolic acid crystals. I have a pretty big jar that will most likely last my lifetime. Drug store used to get it in for us.
I keep a small jar ( slightly smaller than a quart) one coffee stirring spoon of crystals to the jar full of water.

Thats what works for me. I think most mix a tablespoon to the quart of water.
Use a spong or piece of foam to apply to the leather. It will eat the sponge over time I wait to clean the leather after I've used the swivel knife or stamped. The knife seems to drag a bit if you clean before.
I know of one old saddlemaker that used the acid when burnishing edges. You might try it, his edges where pretty nice.

I use the wood bleach that I get from Lowe's or Home Depot. As stated above, 3/4 to 1 spoonful in about a quart of water.

Use sparingly......This stuff is like "Brylcream"......... "A little dab will do ya". Just lightly go over your leather using a sponge or similar. It will clean those smudges like magic.

It will also tell you if you have any cuts on your fingers.:D

Use a little baking soda mixed with water after it is cleaned with the wood bleach.

Don't let any bleach get inside the sheath. Your carbon knife won't like it.

Try some on scrap leather before you jump on your sheath that you have worked so hard to make.

Robert

So you are supposed to rinse it off after ?

Ernie,

In my limited experience, you need to remove that oxalic acid that you used to clean the leather. You can rinse thoroughly if you have the time for the sheath to dry.

Remember, it says its an "acid", and acids don't work well with carbon steels.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how well this stuff removes those dark smudges from natural leather.

I wish Paul, Sandy, or one of the other great gurus would chime in here and set us all straight. Sandy is the one that told me about it a few years back.

Robert

Okay, Robert, be careful what you wish for.....'cause here I am.

The reason I did not chime in is because you guys are spot on with your advice and information. All I could have added is "Uh Huh, Das Right!"

It may have been mentioned already, but Oxalic Acid is VERY POISONOUS!! Watch out for yourself and your little furry shop buddies.

Paul

Thanks All for the info. I picked some up and will give it a try on some scraps when I make my next sheath!!

This ones a good thread. The soda tip is a good one, one my teachers neglected to pass on. Makes perfect sense.

One thing I've noticed is if you work with metal much you'd better really clean up before going into the leather shop. A good hand wash is not enough, you'll have metal dust in your clothing and it will show up as little black marks on wet leather.

Back