Wing divider

Chef Niloc

What size do you like/use? I would think a 6" would be best but thought I would check 1st. Also the Osborne #106 looks to be the best?

Good choice on both counts. If you are like me you will wind up over the years with five or six from the smallest to the largest, but this is a good place to start.

Paul

The smallest one I found was the 6". I thought it was time to get one because in going to start to practice doing some inlays so I want to use it to mart the stitch lines for the cut outs. I just watched Chucks DVD again, and he uses one to do a snake skin inlay. I have not watched your 2nd DVD yet Paul it's next on my list, do you mark your inlay cut out stitch lines the same way? I did watch your first one again and I see you use a divider to mark lines, what size was that one?
Also would the # 34 on this page be better to get as it looks like it's a divider/ compass in one?

http://www.csosborne.com/scompass_1.htm

One tool I probably use way more than dividers for inlays and guide lines is "hermaphrodite calipers".I have a set that I bought off a retired machinest many years ago and they went right to work on the leather.They have one leg pointed and the other leg is angled in and is used for making parallel lines off the edge.Dave

Chef, those Osborne tools you provided a link for appear to be the same end use as an adjustable stitch groover, which I do not like. I have a set of dedicated Tandy stitch groovers set at 1/4", 5/16" and a free hand groover. These are just the "cheap ?" version they sell for around $10 now.

The photos below show a couple of things you have ask about lately. The first is the layout for my tooling area on a pouch sheath so the tooling is confined to the front of the sheath only. This was referenced in another thread "How many sheaths"... If you look closely you can see two dots about 1/8" inside the scribed line. This is the true center line of the sheath. The lines were done with the second wing dividers in the photo below.

The second photo is a shot of some of the wing dividers I have. I use the two smallest ones the most. The smallest I have had for about 40 years, and I don't have any idea where it came from. The next one was a gift from a boot maker friend and it has no markings at all, but it is the one I use the most of any. Third is the Osborne 6", and 4 and 5 are India imports and I think I picked them up at a garage sale or two. The second one in the photo which is my favorite and the one used in the DVDs has a max spread of 3 3/16". The first little one is the one I use to mark the stitch border around the window of inlays.

The 6" will do everything the other ones will do but sometimes the smaller size is just more handy.

Paul

Attachments

• 100_2102.jpg
    100_2102.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 100_2103.jpg
    100_2103.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back