Will this thing help?

Try Fred's BJ with a open mind.
It didn't do a thing for me. but I had already ground about 2000 blades. for better or worse. So I sold it and the clamp to a newer maker that said it was helpful to him.

As makers we tend to get a little opinionated and I have found what works for me may not do a thing for you?

I do recomend that you get one of Bruce Bumps Carbide file guides when funds allow to use with the bubble Jig.
They have two points of contact and the carbide laughs and has just barely been poilshed by the 36 grit ceramic belts after about 300-500 blades.

Hi Laurence,

My post above was not promoting my product or any other; what it does promote is the use of fixtures/jigs and other useful tools in the shop.
Whats your take on using fixtures/jigs and other helper tools in your shop?

Regards, Fred

Hi Laurence,

My post above was not promoting my product or any other; what it does promote is the use of fixtures/jigs and other useful tools in the shop.

Regards, Fred

not trying to hijack. i have several home made fixtures/jigs to help with using belt grinder and putting handles on. i am willing to try most anything to make job easier, take less time, and deliver a more consistent product. might be a good post to start "POST YOUR HOME MADE FIXTURES AND JIGS"
My file guide is made out of industrial chain links joined with shoulder bolts, the area touching the blade covered with 1/8" rubber gasket material. my grinding guide is a piece of 2" x 4" oak with an 80degree bevel. mount the blade on angle iron, hold the angle to the oak, and i get a pretty consistent 20degree blade bevel.
the old sailor

Hi Laurence,

Regards, Fred
Fred,
i think we both just never do get each other's post's? LOL, no worries!

I just mentioned how I use B.B. file guide and that the OP may want one.

I see nothing wrong with using any Jig, Fixuture, Do Dad, Thing amabob that helps me do the work in my shop short of having it done by a machine shop and then calling it my own.

At the same time just cause it works for me, doesn't mean it works for you Fred or someone else?

There are so many ways to arrives at a excellent knife! And that's what I keep striving for! Sometimes with some extra mechanical help, somethimes without.

not trying to hijack. i have several home made fixtures/jigs to help with using belt grinder and putting handles on. i am willing to try most anything to make job easier, take less time, and deliver a more consistent product. might be a good post to start "POST YOUR HOME MADE FIXTURES AND JIGS"
My file guide is made out of industrial chain links joined with shoulder bolts, the area touching the blade covered with 1/8" rubber gasket material. my grinding guide is a piece of 2" x 4" oak with an 80degree bevel. mount the blade on angle iron, hold the angle to the oak, and i get a pretty consistent 20degree blade bevel.
the old sailor

Well Scott,
Maybe you would be kind enough to start a new thread in say, Shop Talk with some pictures of your jigs and others can follow your lead posting and sharing different devices they have made and found helpful in knife making?

Let's keep this open to all kinds. Those that are one of's as far as we know and ones that are available from other makers etc. Including Fred's BJ and My Rhino Finger skins and any other helpful tool that we can think of to help in the knife shop?

What do the rest of you dogsters think of this idea that Scott has started?

Since I started this thread with a question I have received Fred's 'tool'. (pun intended). I've only got 20 or so blades under my belt and only a couple turned out the way I think they should. I have now used the 'jig' and for me it's the best thing that could have happened, I actually have two sides of a blade that look the same. It's something that I don't think I will use forever but until I can get some confidence and practice with good results it can't be beat. Thanks Fred.

In a couple of months you will more than likely put it away until you figure you out something else you help grinding. It's a good jig to have laying around.

I do respect your opinion on this Shokr and I don't post this to argue the point; its only meant to be a comparative view.

My shop is not only for making knives, but is an all around production facility. Its small 32 x 24 but has a lot of machinery in it.

I have one whole wall of shelves where I keep different fixtures--jigs and alignment tools. These are used in milling, welding, grinding, sawing and half a dozen other operations in the shop. If I'm going to do something repeatedly I will try and see if there is a fixture or jig that will make the task easier and more consistent. I've found over 40 years working in one shop or another that taking the time to make these "helper" tools is time well spent. The amount of time saved by making and using these helper tools is huge; the outcome is you can produce more quality items consistently and in less time.
Fridays in my shop is fixture/jig day. I try to spend 1/2 a day on Fridays making these helper tools; as well as any other change to the shop, that will make it more productive.

Fred

Fred, words may have failed me there, my bad

i dont say jigs or fixtures are 'bad' i am saying if it can be done without them specially for someone learning its better. like driving manual before learning to drive automatic for instance. try to be less dependent as much as possible, but if it helps with mass production then sure, if its fixtures or no knife making at all then sure use them.and i want to clarify, im new at this and with very limited experience, i just believe the harder one learns at first the better off he'll be on the long run, but that might not be the case for everyone of course :)

also, i believe there is a thread about jigs already, called 'show me your jigs; or something similar

Fred, words may have failed me there, my bad

i dont say jigs or fixtures are 'bad' i am saying if it can be done without them specially for someone learning its better. like driving manual before learning to drive automatic for instance. try to be less dependent as much as possible, but if it helps with mass production then sure, if its fixtures or no knife making at all then sure use them.and i want to clarify, im new at this and with very limited experience, i just believe the harder one learns at first the better off he'll be on the long run, but that might not be the case for everyone of course :)

In support of your view: The first 5 years I trained in Karate I spent huge amounts of time to toughen my hands; at the end of the hard training I could thrust my hand completely through a full size water melon, finger tips first. Then I purchased a large chef's knife. :)
Whatever you're wanting to learn, train yourself with good technique as a foundation to expand from. Knife making is so open ended with the sky as the limit that without good technique its hard to reach the loftier goals.
Have a greet day, Fred

In my mind, the Bubble Jig is not really a jig. When I think of a grinding jig I think of something that is keeping the blade immobile at a specific angle where no deviance can be made. The Bubble Jig to me is more of a visual guide to help my inexperienced mind and hands stay where I need them to be. As far as advancing my ability quickly I value the Bubble Jig right up there with my 2x72 grinder.

Last edited:
I think the bubble jig is the most helpful tool available for new guys (like myself) that are self teaching themselves.

That is a very good point, having used the Bubble Jig now for around 3 years now, I can also tell everyone that it is not ONLY a jig, it's a TEACHER AS WELL! See, as far as grinding goes (and several other areas), I have a handicap that almost destroyed my knife making dreams before I got started, being blind in my left eye left me with little to zero depth perception, some areas I would have a little and in other areas I would have absolutely none, it seemed to depend on what I was doing, some things I just learned how to adjust for, others I just had to start ignoring because in my sight it looked all wrong, like with my wife driving, pulling into a parking place freaked me out so many times, I would literally yell out loud, not STOP! or LOOK OUT!, no nothing ingenious as that, it was more like all of the alphabet at once, minus the vowels. Basically a guttural sound that tried to come out all at once, because it scared the crap out of me and I would be trying to say something as fast as possible. In my eye, it looked like we were going to hit the car we were parking next to, never did, now I'm sure everyone is thinking that well once you know that you can make adjustments, "REMEMBER" not to do that...see the key word, "REMEMBER", another of my handicaps, I have acute memory issues I deal with all the time, I know a lot of folks on here know me, some even personally, honestly I probably just forgot to tell you,<ha!could NOT resist>, I know I joke about it, but I did have a very serious condition that had to be fixed back in 2001, so I am very happy to ONLY have memory issues.

ANYWAY! Back on topic, I bought the Bubble Jig after destroying several feet of fine knife making steel, sure in my first few, I made some that passed muster, barely, but none that completely made me happy with the type of grind I was looking for, sure practice is huge, there is nothing that will make a maker better than making another knife. But I was getting to the point that no matter what I did, I just could not 'see' the angle, even if I changed the angle a bit then looked at what I did I could not figure out how I did it, because I could not tell the distance the blade was away from the belt, the angle eluded me and I could not figure out why, and out of complete desperation I bought The Bubble Jig, and like magic it worked! I was astounded, I tucked my elbows and moved my body just like I had read, which never worked before but I knew that was right, from reading on here and Mr Fred's many YouTube video's, I looked at my blade and literally had tears well up in my eyes. No it was not perfect, but it was closer to an even smooth grind across the blade I had ever done. Of course I do keep using it, but what I have noticed is that after I have done a lot of grinding, with it fresh on my memory, I can grind a decent blade free hand, sometimes I just get the grind started with the jig and then take it off, and check it every once in a while, it works for me! So those of you that want to learn how to grind knives free hand, there is probably no easier way than the Bubble Jig, not only will you be learning to grind with out realizing it, you will also be finishing MORE knives in the mean time!
I hope this helps someone, Rex

Thanks for sharing that Rex. Made my day. My wife worked for the Bureau for the Visually Impaired for 30 years and I'm familiar with many sight conditions. I'm so glad this helped you move ahead in your knifemaking quest.

Happy grinding, Fred

Thanks for sharing that Rex. Made my day. My wife worked for the Bureau for the Visually Impaired for 30 years and I'm familiar with many sight conditions. I'm so glad this helped you move ahead in your knifemaking quest.

Happy grinding, Fred

NOT a PROBLEM in the WORLD, Mr. Fred, I'm just sharing my experiences, I know how much I've been helped on here, I just wanted to offer up my experiences just in case there is someone out there that might need it. Being visual impaired isn't the worst thing in the world, it's amazing how much my "good" eye's peripheral vision has expanded.
Honestly MR, Fred, I should be THANKING YOU,- again, just for bringing the Bubble Jig to market, it really did make a way for me and people like me to be able to not just make a better knife, but make a knife that woul;d not have been made to begin with! THANKS,Rex

It depends on the blade size and shape; but five degrees is a good angle to start with on blades 1/4 or under thick, by 2" high or less. Develop the edge from plunge to tip at the 5 degree setting. Take it to heat treat geometry, " the thickness of a dime"; the belt wont touch the edge again if the grind sequence is good.
When you have the cutting edge in the center of the blade and it will be in the center, if you keep the bubble centered; check the grind lines to see if they are at the height you want and that they are even. If not high enough, make the grind more acute. If your grinding a 2" high bowie you can move a full degree and set the bubble at 4 degrees or even a degree and a half, down to 3 1/2 degrees. A little experience and you become a good judge. I grind a lot of smaller knives with just the 5 degree setting. The grind line moves toward the spine without the belt touching the edge. Grind at this angle until the belt "just" touches the edge. Repeat! Your flat from edge to grind line, is it high enough? If it is and the grind lines are even, take the 36 or 50 grit belt off and start the finish grinds at this degree setting. After a little practice, 10 knives or so and take the bevel clamp off and finish the grind. Your working with a pair of matching bevels from edge to grind line now, which makes the finishing easy.

Happy grinding, Fred

Last edited:
I'm reading and gathering information in hopes of making a knife this year, motivation to get some of my tools in better shape. I don't have any fancy tools just basic stuff.

I found this thread interesting, Fred Rowe's comments on angles and included angles lost me. Could someone send me to more reading on knife blade angles, maybe with pictures, I'm a visual and tactile learner.

google the bubble jig and watch freds video it will explain a lot.

I did and after reading this thread im ordering one whats the shipping time on them fred you backordered or anything. I want the whole set up.

google the bubble jig and watch freds video it will explain a lot.

I did and after reading this thread im ordering one whats the shipping time on them fred you backordered or anything. I want the whole set up.

Very nice video, I wonder if I can hold the bubble steady, lol.

Back