Wicked Edge Question

gull wing

Looking for something that is fool proof. I have a problem of not getting the bevels the same on both sides when reprofiling, especially the last inch of the tip. I have an Edge Pro and have used it for years, but too often the problem occurs. Clearily I'm not a great knife sharpener.
Is the Wicked Edge the thing?

I dont know of any knife sharpener that is going to fix uneven bevels.
I bought the wicked edge pro and struggled with it at first, but after a few knives I got the hang of it, and it does a very good job of putting a nice edge on the knife. But it is not designed to correct incorrect or uneven bevels.

Eric
Do you use the wicked edge to establish your edge as the first step, or do you sharpen initially on the belt then go to the wicked edge?
What level of stone do you go to?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

I initiate my edge with a worn belt on my grinder. I do this because it is quite a bit faster that way. I currently sharpen to 1000 grit before stopping and have had really nice results.

Lagrange,
Thank you.
Not sure I understand, though. What I got was,(It's the blade that is not ground too the center line at the factory and there is nothing I can do.)

Okay, just to be clear...when we talk about bevels we are discussing the ground surface that forms the blade. Some makers grind a secondary bevel prior to sharpening. My comment was regarding the issue of these bevels not being centered with the spine of the knife. If these bevels are not centered, the wicked edge is not going to be able to help center them up. It will give the blade an amazing edge however, regardless of where it is in relation to the spine.
After reconsidering the question, I am thinking you might have meant that the height of the secondary bevels leading to the knife edge are not equal.
If this is the case, then I do believe that the wiched edge is capable of equaling them up. But it requires the user to apply extra consdieration to the shorter of the two bevels until they reach equality in height. At that time a nice sharp and clean edge can be accomplished.
I hope you are not as confused as I am.

maybe this will help... by Ken Schwartz

[video=youtube;dDsWh_M7Rek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dDsWh_M7Rek[/video]

I am a strong believer in the wicked edge. I own one and I give at least one a year as a xmas gift. If you want honest answers about the product and especially the extra add ons pm me and no I am not a dealer or promoter of any sort.

Don't think you can get much better than Edgepal..this guy has done his research. The basic kit I think is $495, hoping to get one or make one. I have the same problem with my Edge Pro, it has quite a lot to do with basic trigonometry. Certainly has a lot to do with bad grinding on factory knives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynku3GQOoY

Last edited:
Back