White stiching, how?

Mark Behnke

I've noticed a lot of sheaths with very white stitching .
What kind of thread would be used.
Unwaxed?
Any tips or tricks.

Only one sheath under my belt and I used waxed thread from Tandys and it had a dirty look to I didn't like.

Mark, almost any waxed thread or thread that is waxed later before use will pick up every little bit of dust, dirt, and grime while you are working with it. The really white stitches probably came off of a sewing machine as is the case with my sheaths. Think how many times the same length of thread is pulled through and touched in hand stitching, and then add the wax and it's almost impossible to get a crisp clean stitch. There will still be a nice contrast and the "dirty" thread isn't really that noticeable coupled with the fact that it is generally pretty uniform in color whatever that final color turns out to be. By the way, white artificial sinew will get a lot darker just from pulling tension on it to tighten your stitch.

Paul

Mark, almost any waxed thread or thread that is waxed later before use will pick up every little bit of dust, dirt, and grime while you are working with it. The really white stitches probably came off of a sewing machine as is the case with my sheaths. Think how many times the same length of thread is pulled through and touched in hand stitching, and then add the wax and it's almost impossible to get a crisp clean stitch. There will still be a nice contrast and the "dirty" thread isn't really that noticeable coupled with the fact that it is generally pretty uniform in color whatever that final color turns out to be. By the way, white artificial sinew will get a lot darker just from pulling tension on it to tighten your stitch.

Paul

Hola Pablo

I agree with you, just a bit of my experience.

When I was young ( many years ago) I made shoes by hand. In Majorca, we did not have linen thread, we used hemp to make threads. Hemp is darker than linen. It was not important in normal shoes , but in some models, summer models the customers asked for white stitching.We used on the waxed thread a pigment called "albayalde" like another cover on waxed thread.My translator say "white lead" for "albayalde". I remember it was more difficult and longtime consuming this way of withe stitching. I hope it helps
Pepin

Pepin
This is valuable information that few know, white lead is still avalable so I may try this in the future thanks for sharing.
Mark---there is an old saying that goes like this, "Ask and you shall receive!" And from those that know, too!

I never realized the depth of that saying, it's like a philosophy, it will change the way I look at my goals and how I go about attaining them. Thanks for the enlightenment.

If it is really "lead" be careful in handling it, especially the way that you would be handling it when hand stitching. Too much contact with lead such as lead paint can be hazardous to your health. Even when using lead as a backing material when doing repousse'.

Back