White Liner issue

izafireman

Hopefully someone will be able to help with this?

Made a couple of knives recently and used white G10 liners. How do I stop the liner from becoming dull/showing dirt which seems to get pushed into the surface when buffing the handle?

Thanks
Pete

Only have worked with white G-10 a few times- I try to only work with "natural"color belts and sandpaper when close to finishing and hand sanding.
Silicon Carbide belts tend to stain on the white. I also finish sand wet with the higher grits of the light colored paper

But inevitably, even some microscopic metal shards and shaving can get embedded into the G 10.

I've never had too much issue with white g-10. I think the key is to sand thoroughly at every stage. I think a lot of people quit sanding to early at each stage with micarta and g-10.

I made both knives below with white g-10 and carbon fiber. I only use Norton black ice paper. I sanded these to 1000 grit. No issues at all. I didn't get any black smearing into the white at all.

Capture+_2017-09-20-23-14-06.png0725180925s~4.jpg

This is a problem with most light or white colored handle or spacer materials. The answer isn't easy...... first DO NOT BUFF..... it will just push that junk in as you've found/seen. It's all hand finishing, generally with a sandpaper that IS NOT black...... I use the red colored for situations such as this. Then it's a lot of time/effort.

Since you've already done the buff thing, SOMETIMES you can get a lot of it out with acetone and a toothbrush....but you won't get it all. Hand finishing, with fresh (no black) sandpaper, and using a new piece often.

There's a reason that most experienced makers simply do not use light or white colored handle matierials...... except on very high end pieces..... because you spend a ton of time and effort, generally for little return.

All white takes a lot of work. I don't buff it with any compound. If I buff, I buff it dry or with wax only. I have used thin superglue to seal things up with moderate success and I switch to blonde colored sand paper.

J. Doyle, nice knife.

Thanks for the replies gents. All makes sense as the marks were not there until the later stages of finishing the handle when I took it to the buffer.
I agree with what you say Ed in that unless it is a one off knife that requires more effort it isn't worth using the lighter colours and risk messing a knife up at the final stages.

Back