When do you dye your leather

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I was just wondering when you dye your leather?

I have tried a few different ways, Before I do anything, after I have it stamped and ready to sew.

I always have to touch up like the stitch groove in the back and the edge after I sew.
But when I touch up it never gives me a good color.
I usually have streaks.

Is it a good idea to wet down the leather before dyeing?

I did a light brown one and by the time I was finished with it I dyed it dark brown because there was no uniform to the color.

Hi Ernie,
I dye my sheaths when they are complete. I fiirst rub with isopropynol alcohol to deglaze the leather and then lightly dampen the leather with water before applying the dye.
I seem to get the most even finish by dipping the sheath into a container of dye rather than applying dye directly to the leather. For a light tan dye I will give a quick dip fully submerging the sheath for a few seconds and then stand the sheath on a rack to dry for at least a day to see what color it dries to.
I've found that waiting for them to dry completely will give a much more uniform color and finish, it can take up to two days to dry to a uniform finish in cooler weather. If you are not happy withe color, another quick dip into the container is usually enough.

Hope this helps,
Garry

Deglazing and dampening your leather helps a bunch in uniform color.You can also use Oxalic Acid(Wood Bleach) as it cleans the leather as well.I don't dip dye as I seldom do a single color sheath or one without an inlay or lacing.I do dye and seal the inside of the sheath prior to assembly.I also dye and seal the edges of any inlay "windows" prior to assembly.If I am using a contrasting color of thread or lace I will dye after punching stitch holes and prior to lacing or stitching.If they are the same I wait till I am done.If I am doing two or three tone sheaths I always start with the darker color.Dave:)

Get some steel wool and put it in a jar with some vinegar (Malt probably not the best. I use whitre wine, only because I got it free).

Leave it for a while so that the wire wool rusts and dissolves. It'll take a week or so. Don 't leave the lid on as it can explode fromt he gases produced but putting the lid on every now and then and giving it a shake will help.

Once you have a nasty black liquid, dip your leather it and it will turn black.

The tannin in the leather reacts with the steel and turns the leather black.

You have to neutralise the leather afterwards with some bicarb else you will have a rusty knife!

Give it a try. :D

Get some steel wool and put it in a jar with some vinegar (Malt probably not the best. I use whitre wine, only because I got it free).

Leave it for a while so that the wire wool rusts and dissolves. It'll take a week or so. Don 't leave the lid on as it can explode fromt he gases produced but putting the lid on every now and then and giving it a shake will help.

Once you have a nasty black liquid, dip your leather it and it will turn black.

The tannin in the leather reacts with the steel and turns the leather black.

You have to neutralise the leather afterwards with some bicarb else you will have a rusty knife!

Give it a try. :D

Sweet I will give it a try!!

Bicarbonate of soda is what I use, mixed with water.

I actually wash it in water under the tap first, then fill a container with water and put the bicarb straight on the sheath, rubbing it in while holding it over the container. I then put the sheath in the container with a bit more bicarb.

I leave it 'for a while'. :D

Stew,

Please accept my apology for not saying thanks sooner but I forgot all about this thread.

Thanks for the info. I had heard of this method but had not heard it called by that name.

In Southeastern New Mexico, a large black scorpion is called a vinagaroon so you can see how I got confused.

Thanks,
Carey

Back