What's the best stitching pony design?

Self Made Knives

All you old leather pros out there care to advise a newbie? I've made nearly 20 kydex sheaths, but I'm only on my second leather sheath now. After only two, I can clearly see the need for a stitching pony/horse. So, first off, I'm a cheapskate and almost always build my own tools before buying them if possible.

My question is around the size of the jaws on your ponies. I only intend to make knife sheaths, keeping my fingers crossed that my interest in leather will never go past sheaths. Searching pics I see three common jaws on these (see pics below), looks like it's usually either narrow, all flat, or wide. Any advice on which to build? Keeping in mind it will only be for knife sheaths, I'd like to hear your opinions on which is best and why.

pony 1.JPG pony 2.JPG pony 3.JPG

I'm in the same boat-- But, I guess I've done a few more leather sheaths (but no kydex). On the last sheath I told myself- no more until you build/get a pony! So, I too am anxiously awaiting that advice from the 'ones who know' (not just the jaws but the whole unit).
Thanks in advance,
Bill

Well, I'm far from an old pro, but I've done about 50 sheaths now.
Here is the stitching pony I made a few months ago.
QxJoHZr.jpg

I'm sure there are better designs, but this simple little design certainly made things easier on me.

Good luck!
Chris

PS Anthony, if you keep your leather projects in the single digits, you might avoid getting sucked in any deeper. Any more than that and you're on your own! :3: I've been struggling myself the last couple months with most of my projects being purely leather and nothing to do with knives.

image.jpg
I bought this one from a guy on ebay (1stgadepot) that is very similar to the first picture of the three you have. I like it because you can place it under your thighs or strap it down on a bench. Very reasonably priced and better built than the ones I have seen at Tandy.

I'm thinking the thinner jaws, like the first pic would be best for sheaths. Might not matter that much, not sure. Here's the pony I used tonight. I was looking at one of my bench vises first, then remembered I have a little hobby vise. It actually worked ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 36
I took the small one from Tandy and added a piece of 3/4"x3"x10" wood under it to move the piece that goes under your legs back a bit. Next I wrapped 8 oz leather around the holding arms. The last thing I have done is change out the tightening screw to a thumb screw to make it easier to adjust, no need for a phillips screwdriver that way.

I recently saw a nice one shown on FB in the Knife Sheath Making group. My computer is down and my cell doesn't copy photos well or I would post the photos of it.

That vise looks like a winner too! Far more simpler to store when not being used.

EDIT: I just found a couple of photos on my cellphone, that shows part of mine.

1429713238608.jpg

1429713312659.jpg

Last edited:
My stitching pony is suede lined with leather back for some cushion so no marks on the face or back of the sheath. The guy I bought mine from will add whatever you prefer to the jaws. He recommends leather.

I've been thinking about making a stitching pony. I've been making leather things since the mid 80's and have never used one.

Thanks for posting that up, Chuck! Guys, why did I not build one a ponies long ago? Thanks for bringing this up to my attention! A pony would make my hand sewing a lot easier!

Thanks Chuck, I'd been leaning towards that design anyway, nice write up. I think I'll build one soon, my little vise worked ok, except it has about 10 places that catches your thread while lacing. I spent more time fiddling with thread than sewing!

If you can, try to get a design that has a quick way to tighten the jaws. You won't believe how much difference this makes. I like a foot control on the jaws but that puts you into the full size stitching horse with only a few exceptions. Bob Douglas in Sheridan WY has a pony that looks pretty good and would last a lifetime or two. Don't know if he has a web site or not, Sheridan Leather might have it.

I like that spring hinge on Chucks design.

Back