What Rc for S35VN?

KDX

I have a piece of S35VN that I will eventually be getting to and was wondering what was a good hardness to aim for with a hunting knife. I have access to dry ice, but not LN. Thanks in advance.

I've, have my CPM-S35VN run up to 60-61 with great results for hunting and culinary knives. I send my stainless steels to Paul Bos HTing at Buck knives.

There hasn't any problem of chipping at this RC and if a customer gives me the "Gosh! won't that be hard to sharpen in the field?"
I say, Never compromise your tool or weapon because your environment has changed.

Make sure the knife is sharp before you leave on the hunt and if you do need to touch it up in the field use those DMT diamond stones. They are light and easy to carry.

Thanks for the replys. I was thinking 60-61. Why does Crucible suggest 58-59?

Because they don't make knives and that's what everybody use to put all of their stainless blades up to.

Don't get wrong, I buy my steel from them all the time, but I confer with other makers or Paul at Buck knives for what the steel will do at what RC?

I've done a few cutting tests with different steels and the Sebenza 25 with S35VN (15DPS) did very well. I think they are in the 58-59 range. I can't wait to do a test with S35VN at 60-61.

I've done a few cutting tests with different steels and the Sebenza 25 with S35VN (15DPS) did very well. I think they are in the 58-59 range. I can't wait to do a test with S35VN at 60-61.

Same here, Chris Reeve knows what they are doing with S35VN, I saw no issues with edge retention at all with my Sebenza 25. :biggrin:

Back