What kind of craftsman are we?

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
Proverbs 22:29
[SUP]29 [/SUP]Do you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men.

After hearing reports of the blade show I started thinking about this verse. Thousands of people came very far to see the work of the most skillful knifemakers on the planet. I think that when we keep striving to improve at whatever type of work the Lord has us doing it brings Him glory. Even the unbeliever is unwittingly glorifying God when he produces something skillful and beautiful. Why is this? Look at how the skill of the craftsmen is described in building the tabernacle:

Exodus 35:30-35 (ESV)
[SUP]30 [/SUP]Then Moses said to the people of Israel, “See, the LORD has called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah;
[SUP]31 [/SUP]and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, with intelligence, with knowledge, and with all craftsmanship,
[SUP]32 [/SUP]to devise artistic designs, to work in gold and silver and bronze,
[SUP]33 [/SUP]in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, for work in every skilled craft.
[SUP]34 [/SUP]And he has inspired him to teach, both him and Oholiab the son of Ahisamach of the tribe of Dan.
[SUP]35 [/SUP]He has filled them with skill to do every sort of work done by an engraver or by a designer or by an embroiderer in blue and purple and scarlet yarns and fine twined linen, or by a weaver—by any sort of workman or skilled designer.
Exodus 36:1-2 (ESV)
[SUP]1 [/SUP]“Bezalel and Oholiab and every craftsman in whom the LORD has put skill and intelligence to know how to do any work in the construction of the sanctuary shall work in accordance with all that the LORD has commanded.”
[SUP]2 [/SUP]And Moses called Bezalel and Oholiab and every craftsman in whose mind the LORD had put skill, everyone whose heart stirred him up to come to do the work.

So, any person with the desire and skill to create something useful and beautiful has received that gift from the Lord. Whether they know the Lord or not. Likewise, those that know the Lord need to keep in mind that their ability is a gift from God and not something to glorify themselves. It is natural but not Godly to take credit for things we have worked so hard at. When we realize that our creator puts every bit of skill and artistic ability we have into us we are left only with a sense of thankfulness. When I do something that turns out well or had a high level of difficulty, often my first impulse is to have subtle proud thoughts. then I get the gentle reminder.....

When I think through how the Lord has directed me in my trade I don't really have a leg to stand on. In fact, had I listen/obeyed better to the Lord I would be a better machinist today. I think the real joy is in the doing and the fact that we produce something beautiful or useful that is appreciated by others is glorifying to the Lord and fulfilling to us.

Just some thoughts that hit me this morning. Have a good day guys.

Great post Smallshop you are right. Every talent, gift, ability even breath itself is a gift.
Colossians 3:23
23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,

Back