Western loop Sheath

Here's one just finished, a western loop for a Bowie.
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN3026.jpg
    DSCN3026.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 258
Jerry can you show side and back view, im interested how the leather was wrap around.The concho sets it off as ellengant other wise a simplistic beauty of a plain sheath. This is the level of sheath making I want. I see the high level of standards in the finish of this . I am truely glad your at this site. Today I will make a attempt to make a inlay spitting cobra. I will have to say your inspiring me to push on . Kellyw

Here's one just finished, a western loop for a Bowie.
attachment.php

Jerry ,
I love this sheath, so much that I want to make it. The construction I'm not familiar with, but I think I've got it figured out, I would like to make sure I'm on the right track. What I think I've gotten figured out is that the back piece is long enough to fold backward onto itself to form a belt loop and framing what is the front piece of a pancake style sheath? I think, it's possibly 2 pieces in the front attached to the back piece, but that's hard to tell from the angle of the shot. The back piece has the rough side of the leather or the back facing the blade with the smooth side to frame the sides of the sheath. Now I'm not sure how the strap with the concho is attached, I would assume it is sewn into the back or sides maybe, I'm not sure I want to do mine exactly like you did yours, just yet, I'm more into being original, sure I take bits and pieces from here and there and try to come up with my own style, or at least something different. The knife this sheath is for, I was planning on doing a Stingray inlay, once I get this drawn up with an idea how I'm going to build it, I would like to do the inlay, then again I really like yours....decisions decisions! Thanks so much for sharing , it is a beautiful sheath, classy touch with the concho and the color, perfect really. Thanks, Rex

Rex, The sheath is made just like a Mexican loop style holster, the back panel of the sheath folds over to make the skirt.

The loop can be sewn or riveted to the skirt or you can make integral loop by cutting slots in the skirt.

If you don't want the flesh side of the leather shown on the back you can line the back panel and skirt. I personally think the flesh side looks fine because its correct to see that on a traditional Mexican loop holsters as most originals were not lined.

Here is one of mine on one of my custom gun rigs to give you an idea how the back skirt makes the loop and how it goes on the belt. This sheath is lined so you don't see the flesh side. The sheath has a riveted on loop and the holster has integral loops.

Hope this helps, have fun with the project
DSCN1700.jpg

Last edited:
Chuck's video is highly recommended. He will show you techniques not shown in any other video that I have seen. Get an autographed copy from direct from him..
t

Get an autographed copy from direct from him..

Thanks Tracy but actually I'm having them drop shipped directly to the customer these days so I seldom have them in hand - but if anyone should want one autographed I'll be glad to have them ship me one and sign it.......

Well there you go! I should have known the master would have a tutorial on it somewhere.2thumbs

I also recommend Chucks DVD's. It's always good to see how others do things so we can learn little tricks from one another and use what works best for us.

Dang I take a little break and everyone comes to visit. Been trying to get moved into the new shop and showroom. I plan on making some instructional videos as soon as all the construction is over.

Back