Well, I Messed Up

Randy Lucius

Didn’t really feel like grinding a blade tonight. Wasn’t in the “mood”. Over road the little voice in my head and and ruined the temper on my blade. Had a spot that got too hot and changed color. I always grind bare handed post heat treat to try to prevent that but I was running the grinder a little faster than normal. It just got away from me. The first one out of a hundred blades. #&$%. It’s an AEB-L blade. Can I re-heat treat and retemper? Anything “special” I need to do?

I know you can re-heat treat and retemper carbon steel. I send out my AEB-L so I can't be certain, but presumably if you can do one you can do the other. @John Wilson should know for certain. Hopefully John or someone with similar knowledge will be able to answer your question completely.

You have to re-heat treat start to finish. If its basic 10XX steel. If its other than im sure it can be done but I dont know the procedure or if its any different.

Bummer on the "blue" spot. Devin Thomas (Hoss) who is known as the guru of AEB-L says you can re-heat treat by annealing first. Here is his instructions:
"To anneal AEB-L wrap blades in foil, soak at 1350⁰F for 12 hours – does not require slow cooling. This is a very good condition to re-harden from. This is a simple sub-critical anneal to allow straightening before re-heat treating in cases of warpage. "

Hoss likes a pre-quench for AEB-L, says it reduces stress, which in turn reduces chance of warp and does grain refinement.

"Once the sub-critical anneal is complete, ramp oven to 1725F, then place blade in oven for 20 minute soak. Remove blade, clamp in quench plates to cool, ramp oven to 1975F for final HT. "

Just curious, do any of you use a spray mister post HT? I've tried it, but find it a bit messy, and doesn't play well with some belts.

Bummer on the "blue" spot. Devin Thomas (Hoss) who is known as the guru of AEB-L says you can re-heat treat by annealing first. Here is his instructions:
"To anneal AEB-L wrap blades in foil, soak at 1350⁰F for 12 hours – does not require slow cooling. This is a very good condition to re-harden from. This is a simple sub-critical anneal to allow straightening before re-heat treating in cases of warpage. "

Hoss likes a pre-quench for AEB-L, says it reduces stress, which in turn reduces chance of warp and does grain refinement.

"Once the sub-critical anneal is complete, ramp oven to 1725F, then place blade in oven for 20 minute soak. Remove blade, clamp in quench plates to cool, ramp oven to 1975F for final HT. "
1350 for 12 hours? I'll probably just chunk the blade and start over.

Just curious, do any of you use a spray mister post HT? I've tried it, but find it a bit messy, and doesn't play well with some belts.
I haven't really found it necessary. This is the first blade out of a hundred that I got too hot. It was due to not paying attention and grinding when I really didn't feel like it. Every time I ignore "the little voice in my head" I do something stupid. Maybe one day I'll learn. :p

Back