Welding (cheap) Machines

Moe56

Asking for suggestions for welders for hobbyist knife maker. Mostly for canisters, welding sticks to billets, etc. i haven’t welded in a little over fifty years, so simple as well as cheap. Lol!
Thanks guys.

Rather than suggest a specific machine I'll make a couple of comments on how well they work. Here's a typical machine I saw reviewed favorably on youtube: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D5YKGSPT/ $140 shipped. Not a bad price at all.

I've got a similar MIG only machine that amazes me how well it works on 120 vac. I've got a big industrial Lincoln stick welding machine I've used for years, but seldom use anymore since I got the cheap MIG welder. A 120 vac MIG machine might not have penetration like the stick machine, but for welding billets, edge welding for San Mia to seal the edge, even welding a handle to a billet it works just fine. In fact, you're not really looking for penetration for a billet, you want the weld to lay on top so you don't have the weld material down in the billet.

Unless you're wanting the stick or TIG, a simple flux core MIG machine will do all you need.

AND, these new instant welding helmets are amazing.

Look into Yes welders all Chinese stuff but they seem to be getting decent reviews? I bought one of their Helmets and really like it! Plus it seems as though you can get a Multi-Purpose machine for a decent price if that would be something your interested in?

The interweb has a bunch of welder machine recommendations. One of my favorite guys is Jody Collier that has a ton of high quality videos on weldingtipandtricks.com. His advise addresses MIG /Stick and TIG.
It boils down to how much you want to spend for the type of welding you'll do. More expensive machines may be over kill for your purpose. But cheap machines may not serve your needs. To some extent the quality of the machines is proportionate to its cost.
In my opinion Lincoln or Miller are the best, everything else is a Chinese crap shoot, both in performance and service.
There's an axiom in welding, if you can't see the puddle you'll never make a good weld. So get a good electronic controlled hood and you'll never regret it. I now use a 3M Speedglass hood that helps my aging eyes. It's outrageously expensive, and worth every penny. Jackson hoods are also good.

Rather than suggest a specific machine I'll make a couple of comments on how well they work. Here's a typical machine I saw reviewed favorably on youtube: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D5YKGSPT/ $140 shipped. Not a bad price at all.

I've got a similar MIG only machine that amazes me how well it works on 120 vac. I've got a big industrial Lincoln stick welding machine I've used for years, but seldom use anymore since I got the cheap MIG welder. A 120 vac MIG machine might not have penetration like the stick machine, but for welding billets, edge welding for San Mia to seal the edge, even welding a handle to a billet it works just fine. In fact, you're not really looking for penetration for a billet, you want the weld to lay on top so you don't have the weld material down in the billet.

Unless you're wanting the stick or TIG, a simple flux core MIG machine will do all you need.

AND, these new instant welding helmets are amazing.
So if I can ask, what is your little mig only unit and is mig fairly quick to pick up?

smaller machines have smaller duty cycle - cheaper lower powered machines might need a recovery break before your task is finished.

So if I can ask, what is your little mig only unit and is mig fairly quick to pick up?
Sorry it took so long for me to respond to welder I have, but it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CP9CDVQ/

I think it was <$200 when I ordered it a few yrs ago. I didn't order thru Amazon, I found cheaper source back then, but now looking on ebay Amazon seems to be less expensive. I chose that manuf based on recommendations of another guy who was experienced. Not near the choices there are now. There are some nice looking welders out there now with digital displays. The Forney line has a very good rep, and actually has (or used to have) product support local in USA. I've been very pleased with my unit, no problems at all with it.

On the idea of duty cycle, most will talk about only 10% duty cycle which sounds bad, but that's usually at max amperage. Even with 10% duty cycle should cover all the billet & handle welding needed.

I do like being able to set the wire speed and voltage/current separately. Some of the welders only have one control, you pick current and it automatically selects the wire feed rate. Not sure why I prefer that, the machine might know more than me what's best :)

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to welder I have, but it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CP9CDVQ/

I think it was <$200 when I ordered it a few yrs ago. I didn't order thru Amazon, I found cheaper source back then, but now looking on ebay Amazon seems to be less expensive. I chose that manuf based on recommendations of another guy who was experienced. Not near the choices there are now. There are some nice looking welders out there now with digital displays. The Forney line has a very good rep, and actually has (or used to have) product support local in USA. I've been very pleased with my unit, no problems at all with it.

On the idea of duty cycle, most will talk about only 10% duty cycle which sounds bad, but that's usually at max amperage. Even with 10% duty cycle should cover all the billet & handle welding needed.

I do like being able to set the wire speed and voltage/current separately. Some of the welders only have one control, you pick current and it automatically selects the wire feed rate. Not sure why I prefer that, the machine might know more than me what's best :)

Good luck and let us know what you get.
Thank you sir, and i appreciate your time!

I picked up a very mildly used 220V Chicago Electric DC Mig Welder a few years back for about $90 or so. Brand new they're only $200 from Harbor Freight. Really not a bad welder if you run some good wire through it. I only use flux core, but it can also take gas.

Back