wax the blade ?

victoroni

i need some input for a customer who has purchased my first chef knife - i recall reading that waxing the blade will help with "stiction" is this an acceptable and effective practice ? i understand it will also help with corrosion resistance. appreciate any advice - thanks
victor

Absolutely! I've used "wax" for blades/knives for a lot of years. IMO wax is far superior to oils....less mess, it doesn't draw dirt like oils, and it lasts FAR longer then any oil.

I've tried/used a ton of different brands/types.....and always keep coming back to Mother's Caranuba Cleaner/Wax. It's inexpensive, easy to obtain, and does a great job. I use it on the entire knife.....and with some woods, it's even the "finish" that I apply to the wood.

https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-Cali...568636337&sprefix=Mother's+car,aps,211&sr=8-1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mothers-...an-Carnauba-Cleaner-Wax-Paste-12-Oz/103434405

One thing that always comes up with a discussion of waxing blades..... Is it food safe? I doubt it's safe if you were to eat a heaping tablespoon of it.... but the quantity is so tiny when waxing a blade/knife..... it's a non-concern for me.

Different people like different products, for different reasons..... but no matter which brand/type of wax you choose, it's just far superior to oils for cleaning/protecting cutlery.

Ed, did you give up on the Bowling Alley Wax? I'm been using that for a little while with what I thought were good results.

I still keep the bowling alley wax around.....for specific purposes.....but I still like the Mother's better for knives. I discovered that the chemicals in the Bowling alley wax do strange things to some natural handle materials over time... and I've had a number of clients mention that the smell of the bowling alley wax was offensive/overwhelming, where as most folks comment on how pleasant the Mother's wax smells.

I mostly use the Bowling alley wax in the shop, on work rest surfaces, drill press tables, magchucks, etc.

Last edited:
Interesting to hear. I will try the Mother's Wax also. I noticed that the BAW would sometimes be a little streaky on the blade if I got it too thick and then tried to buff out. The BAW seems like it is hard as a rock, though. I love the feel of it on the handle.

Back