Waterjet Blanks

Randale

I just received my first batch of waterjet cut blanks in 80CRV2 to try out the process.

The blanks are covered in rust. While I understand the concept of "water" = rust, I am curious if this is the norm for most waterjet cutting services to deliver their product covered in rust. It seems that an extra step for drying and, maybe, spraying on a a light coat of oil would not be unreasonable. The rust obviously cleans up easily with a Scotchbrite belt (the holes are a different matter...)

Lazy vendor or the norm for the technology?

Thanks!

Randale

Attachments

• Waterjet_Knife_Blanks.jpg
    Waterjet_Knife_Blanks.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 16
Check you holes diameters to ensure you can use your fasteners. You'll notice every jetted edge has a slight taper to it

Welcome, I'd think that is to be expected. As vlegski said, you may need to drill/ream pin holes. Out of curiosity, who did it for you?

Welcome, I'd think that is to be expected. As vlegski said, you may need to drill/ream pin holes. Out of curiosity, who did it for you?
Thanks to both of you for the tip on the pin holes. I intentionally undersized the pin holes on the DXF drawing and plan to drill them to size.

I would rather not disparage the vendor if this is the norm. I am going to try a batch from a different vendor and see how it compares first. The cuts themselves are ok. But, I have nothing else to compare to yet.
I may be wrong but I think the rust burns off during ht...

I am going to grind a rough bevel before heat treating, so some cleanup is necessary.

As to rust. I get rust mostly on cut edges. Minimal rusting on flats regardless of its steels cleanliness. Might be the water he's using that causing that much rusting

Back