Water Jet Cutting

Gene Kimmi

KNIFE MAKER
I've been considering this for the last year or so and finally decided to check into it.

I have to say, I'm super pleased with the results. New Jersey Steel Baron did an excellent job at what I consider a great price.
I am hoping that going this route with my stock removal knives will allow me more time to forge. I have lots of ideas for damascus that I want to try, but seam to always be busy with orders of the stainless knives.

I've been considering this for the last year or so and finally decided to check into it.

I have to say, I'm super pleased with the results. New Jersey Steel Baron did an excellent job at what I consider a great price.
I am hoping that going this route with my stock removal knives will allow me time to forge. I have lots of ideas for damascus that I want to try, but seam to always be busy with orders of the stainless knives.
what was the cost per knife?

what was the cost per knife?

I had to have templates converted to DXF files which cost me $90 for 8 templates. Then it depends on the number of blades ordered and the steel used. I had 56 blades in this order and the 8" chef's blades out of 1/16" AEB-L were $11.93 each plus shipping.

Very cool. I’ve looked into it myself but being just a part timer, I never thought I could justify it. It would be nice though to just skip the profiling step. Cutoff wheels are messy, noisy, and not a little dangerous.

Did they have a minimum order?

They do. Either a minimum of a certain model or lower minimums of each in a mixed batch. They also have to be ordered in certain multiples, multiples of 3 on the chef's knife, multiples of 5 on the gut hook knives and so on.

Gee..... I never even consider NJSB for waterjet..... DUH! I'll have to give them a call and see if they can do a sheet of folder/flipper Ti parts.

DXF file type is the norm. My big questions would be edge/cut quality, and if I would have a choice. The finer the cut quality, the better/straighter the edges. In my experience, waterjet outfits offer a variety of "cut qualities", with the price going up as the cut quality improves. For the most part, all it is is the speed at which the cut nozzle travels..... faster= poorer cut/edge quality, and slower=better. I've tried companies that charge both by the part, and by time/hourly rate.... and have found that those who charge by the part are usually a better value.

The hardest part of working with a waterjet outfit is in something like having folder parts cut, where precision cut to design is required. Often it takes a LOT of back and forth to get the CAD file correct, but in the end, if you make a lot of the same thing, its well worth it. Especially if they send you the DXF file! Then you can take that to just about any waterjet outfit and save the setup fees.

Looks like I might be making a call today. :) Thanks Gene!!

So Ed. I hope all is well.
Do you get your folder parts cut with a water jet machine???
I used a local shop and i guess everyones understanding of close tolerance is different. I now have A LOT of scrap parts.
So my search continues.

So Ed. I hope all is well.
Do you get your folder parts cut with a water jet machine???
I used a local shop and i guess everyones understanding of close tolerance is different. I now have A LOT of scrap parts.
So my search continues.
I don’t think Ed posts in this forum. I hated to see him go - he was a positive and helpful contributor.

Back