Was W.D. "Bo" Randall a war veteran or knife fighter?

is there something wrong with me asking? thought that was one of the main purposes of a discussion forum - to get others involved. also, someone may know of information i might not find. and, i was just asking about randall - not scagel.

Nothing wrong with asking, but the tenor in which it's asked often dictates the direction of answers. It's difficult to determine context in print/on a forum, so you will often get that type of response. Also, those of us who have been here for a long time have often seen questions written like that.... in a seemingly demanding tenor. I think that's why the response.
Honestly, when I first read it, I had the same first reaction.

I'm sure C. Craft was NOT trying to be demeaning.....he did offer a significant amount of information to the question. ;)

Michael nothing wrong with asking, so if I appeared to give you a shot with a claymore, sorry!

You have edited your original question so I can't respond directly to the question. Your paraphrasing of the question just kind of rubbed me wrong!! You seemed to be asking if Bo Randall was a fighter??? Which really I wasn't sure how to take that!

Look regardless of how we got here we are all interested in knife making. That usually means we all want to run out and make our first, usually God awful attempt at a knife! I often judge how a question should be answered by whether I know you or not or, how long you have been around!! I felt like you have been around for a while and most questions about those who paved the way for us. Most of that can be found in a search!!

Learning how to make a knife does not mean you have to know the history of knife making! However it does help at times. When you are setting at the computer and pecking at the keys and, that thought strikes you of who was Bo Randall. Type in a search for the name.

There are names that stand out thru the history of knife making and are synonymous with different types of knives or names!! I will give you a few, in no particular order!
Floyd Nichols
Bill Scagel
Bo Randall
Webster Marble
Daniel Edward Henry
R.W. Loveless
George Herron

These are only a few of the names that strike me at the moment! There are many more. Randall alone had several that worked for him that were so distinctive about there styles. The knives left the business under Randall's name but if you talk to a collector he can tell which works were credited to them and the feature that makes it distinctive!

On Bo Randall alone! You have the link I already gave you!
Here are some more links! Not all these are about him but each one gives insight into Randall knives!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randall_Made_Knives

Look I never want to knock another knife maker. Lord knows when we all first started we asked our fair share of questions. Some not to bright but some that just was something we didn't understand.
When it comes to history of knife making, the PC has become a magnificent tool in finding those answers!! It is all in how you word your search! So if you thought I was trying to shoot you down, I wasn't!! I was merely trying to get you do some of the leg work your self!!

No question is ever stupid but, some require very little leg work on your own part to answer them!! th.gif

Last edited:
all of this, for a simple 2 word question. i'll never post another here. happens on every forum i go to, it's gotta be me.

Michael, your original question has been edited to the two word version. Not sure what the problem is but, I have bent over backwards to try and make amends for a possibly hasty answer!

all of this, for a simple 2 word question. i'll never post another here. happens on every forum i go to, it's gotta be me.

I always try to lend a hand to anyone asking a question as I remember getting slammed for some of my questions when I first started. How ever as I pointed out sometimes you have to do your own leg work on certain subjects! So if that effort displeases you, then I don't know what to offer!
mike drop.jpg

I always try to lend a hand to anyone asking a question as I remember getting slammed for some of my questions when I first started. How ever as I pointed out sometimes you have to do your own leg work on certain subjects! So if that effort displeases you, then I don't know what to offer!
View attachment 68633

Chris I think this part of the above post tells you/us all that needs be known
"i'll never post another here. happens on every forum i go to, it's gotta be me "

Its Cliff but as long as you don't call me late for supper it ain't important!! You know I understand asking about procedure. Sometimes it may be difficult to grasp or, perhaps you just want to check before you make a mistake! But come on that list I gave him is a list of the makers that went before us and I am leaving a lot off that list at that! Those were just names that popped into my head while I was sitting here. When it comes to history of knives and knife making you can't ask for an easier answer than doing a search. It is simple as putting the name in and, if that don't pop it up add knife maker after the name!!! :(

This is the BEST FORUM!! I've never had anyone slam me for a question. It seems to all be misunderstood.

It’s easy to be misunderstood or convey miscommunications on any forum board.
Like my friend Rick says - life’s to short to get wrapped around the axel.

Back