Warping 1095

I've had some 1084 do this to me. I swear I straightened those blades ten times. I straighten them, normalize them, put them in vermiculite... I swear every time I picked them up again they were warped. I got them straight enough to grind the last of the warp out.

With AEBL I expect warp. I'm honestly shocked when I don't have to straighten one. The plate quench seems to have very little effect on the steel being permanently straight, because as soon as I put it in the dry ice slurry if it wants to bow it does. Or it will bow in the temper cycle. The saving grace is that AEBL is easy to straighten with low heat and some forceful persuasion.

I've used AEBL several times now and haven't notice it warp, that's weird. I've had 1095 blanks laser cut and they come back warped a little. I annealed them in a batch and hand straighten before grinding. Never noticed the warp come back.

I wonder if shear cutting it has anything to do with it ? Most of the 1084 I buy is shear cut and I would think that would add stress into the steel, I forge 1084 so I cant relate to warping during stock removal grinding but if I was to take that same bar stock that was shear cut I think I would normalize it due to looking at the pinched edges of the cut.

Back