Wa handle dimensions?

Guys,
Right now I want to successfully make a wa handle. I like how they look and am curious about how the knife feels in the hand.
Its a challenge that I want to overcome.
I started on my first attempt yesterday, a purpleheart and of all things blue corian ferrule. I happened to have some of each handy when I started.
Fred

Fred,
That combo sounds great! I have Gorillia sized hands and find most production Wa's to be too small, I have made a full tang wa shaped handle that fit me well, I prefer my shape of handle that I put on most all of my culinary knives thats on my site pictures. I size these to order to each customer or couple that order my knives.

Dare to be different in your choices of shape, woods and composites and most importantly have fun!

Laurence,
The corian did not work. As I was fitting the tang cut, and I wanted it to be a snug fit, I repeatedly would insert and remove the knife. When I thought that I was done, I noticed a hair line crack at one of the corners of the slot. I tried sanding the face down to get rid of the crack, but it won't go away. I think corian would work better as a spacer, at least for me.
I guess if I am talking about something I am making, I probably should move this somewhere else. Any suggestions?
Laurence, thanks for all of the encouragement.
Thanks everybody for the help.
Fred

With any material that you use, make sure you grind/cut it as cool as possible and don't use water to cool it. Paper micarta, Corian and the reconstituted stuff that MaseCraft sells is great for a reffule.

Back