Vice rebuild....

bladegrinder

Not so much a rebuild as a repair but it was a job getting this thing apart.
this was given to me by someone that had no use for it and it sat on the floor of a shed for years.
I thought wow another nice vice, when I picked it up it was in a cardboard box with a plastic bag with some parts. the parts turned out to be the screw collar that keeps the screw from coming out when opening the vice, it's broke in half and appears to be cast iron so I'm going to fabricate a new one out of steel.

The vice is a Chas Parker #87 with patent dates of 1908 and 1910, it's anyone's guess how old it actually is but other than the screw collar it's in really good shape. one thing I'm not big on is the red paint job someone put on it. I'm considering sandblasting it and putting on some rust converter chemical to just turn it black. by the way, this was the same company that made Parker shotguns in the day. so here it is.......

KhpWPd0.jpg

ZEBrMGZ.jpg

Wow! Judging from how sharp the corners are on the worm....that thing has seen very little, if any use. I had one very similar to that once..... I use a spring clip from NAPA to fix mine (it had the same broken part)..... must have been a weakness in the design.

Nothing like getting good old tools for free! :)

Well, I made the replacement collar part, it came out good. I just need a new longer bolt to hold it in place.
this thing also came with pipe jaws, I need to get two 3.5" 1/4" bolts to hold them in place.
as for the paint, I'm leaving it as is, I got it all lubed up with never seize and put back together and it's like new.
just need a few new bolts. :D

Man I love free old stuff...working or not!

Back