VFD/Motor Questions

Ahh, you got Ameribrade’s version2 grinder. Nice. It’s odd they didn’t go this route from the start. And they still sell the tube steel version.(bet it’s the left overs they have) But I can’t imagine they are selling them.

Excellent grinder. Still overpriced to me though. But, I’m a builder so EVERYTHING is overpriced.;)

Last edited:
I really like the combo platen feature. I do mostly flat or convex grinds and need smaller contact wheels for handle contouring, so this package made the most sense. I really like how their tool rest moves and I think it will work very well for me. I like the bigger square tubing setup of the arms. I don't intend to need to buy more arms unless I want to get a big hollow grind wheel down the road, so it not being the standard 1.5" size isn't an issue for me. I love the beefiness of the knobs and how they adjust, too. I need to order some belts and small wheels and the motor and vfd, hoping to get this bad boy set up soon!

The 220V hasn't happened yet, so I am going to use my current 1 hp 110v motor and use pillow blocks/pulleys to run the Ameribrade for now. I will mount the motor on a cheap machinist cross slide vise and with 2 step pulleys, can get a good range of speeds. I just ordered small contact wheels, belts, and the rest of the stuff I need to get it set up! I will get the VFD and 2 HP 220V motor eventually, but when I sell my smaller home built 2x36" setup, I can recoup a lot of the costs of the pillow blocks, pulleys, shafts, etc anyway! I have to travel out of state during the Holidays and then be out of work for 14 days, so I wanted to be able to spend most of that time setting up the new belt sander and practicing blade grinding!

Well, it didn't go well today. The pillow blocks don't match up to the hole spacing on the motor mount platform, so I need to make a spacer to elevate them and drill new holes in the platform. I ordered a 5/8" drive shaft off Ebay, but it wasn't precision ground, so the key didn't fit right and the shaft didn't fit right into the pillow blocks, either. I tried sanding it down, but when I got the key/driveshaft and drive wheel on, I was tapping to try to get it to fit and it wedged :( New PG drive shaft from USA Knifemaker and a new drive wheel are on the way. Try it again when they arrive! Wish I had the 220V to the garage, would be much simpler and easier!

Back