Varnish/oil Finishing On Scales

Robert66

I have scrounged hard wood of unknown types and some oak which I can ID, I have only used boiled linseed oil so far and would like to use a finish with a bit of gloss and darker, any ideas as to which ones I could use?

Thank you

A lot of guys on here use tru oil, and I used that one time so far and it turned out well. I would recommend watching Ed Caffrey's video on applying it first. I know some people use tung oil. I'm guessing a more experienced/knowledgeable knifemaker will come around to this thread.

A lot of guys on here use tru oil, and I used that one time so far and it turned out well. I would recommend watching Ed Caffrey's video on applying it first. I know some people use tung oil. I'm guessing a more experienced/knowledgeable knifemaker will come around to this thread.

Thanks Ember, I await a torrent of sticky stuff. lol

I like True Oil for a glossy finish. I like using combinations of leather dye to get specific effects, especially with maple. It's hard to capture in still images, so I'm trying a gif here:

KJU67pW.gif

Edit to add: I guess the gif kills some resolution, but the key thing I'm trying to show is that with the dye and then oil, the effect is almost holographic in how the grain changes color depending on the perspective and light. And it's completely dry in this image fwiw.

I use a mix of equal parts
Refined boiled linseed oil
Tung oil
Vegatable turps
Spar varnish
brush on, leave 20 min and rub off. repeat 3 to 5 times for great finish that is in the wood rather than on top of the wood. I use the same mix when doing my rifle stocks.

Back