This is my 4th sheath.

J.Leclair

This is my 4th sheath.
I picked up a basic stamp set from tandy leather. Then I played around on some small scrap peices. Once I got the feel for the stamps I did the belt strap.
IMG_0131.jpg

once I got that done I went ahead and did the front.
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

customer is a friend so I had to grab this from him for a couple min. today to grab some shots with the Iphone. as I forgot to take any pix when he got the knife a couple months ago. He says he loves it and it built like a tank and holds the knife in well.
any critiques would be greatly appreciated. I have thick skin so if it sucks please let me know so I can improve.
Thanks
J.leclair

Your on the right track. It would look a lot better if you burnish the edges. It all comes with practice. Keep it up ,youll do just fine. KT

I sanded the main edge with 600 grit paper then waxed with bees wax and rubbed it with a cotton shirt until the wax worked in. the thin edges around the mouth of the sheath ect. were beveled then waxed. How does one go about burnishing the edges? how about the thin edges around the mouth of the sheath how do you guys finish those?

To burnish get bottle of gum tragacanth from USA KM for 6$ and put an old sanding belt on grinder backing side out and put gum on belt with acid brush while running and rub edges and openings at slow speed. Your sheath looks good- only thing maybe I would have tried to keep overall width down by keeping stitching closer and grinding off more leather around outside. You chose to add design between stitch rows which adds less economy to design but hey it looks good-

Thanks. Since I can't slow my grinder down any would it be better to apply the gum tragacanth and rub it in by hand?

Not sure that it would work by hand as the burnishing process has to generate heat to seal over leather fibers and polish. May work if you can move your arm like an electrocuted bunny rabbit. It may work at full speed on grinder belt and would give a try. What have to avoid is burning the gum and getting black streaks in work, which is easy to do.

This is they way I do it.

I sand the edges untill they are smooth with no, or as little as possible, tool marks with the power sander I have. Both belt and disk, the disk is great for leveling and the belt is great for finishing. Then after edging I take a sponge and wet the edges lightly and use a 400 grit paper to establish a nice smooth surface, then on to a 600 if needed, sometimes its not needed. After its nice and smooth I dye the edges then take a rag with a little gum tragacanth (gum trag) and rub it in well, first both directions to make sure its covered evenly then one direction. Done. No power tools required.

The key is getting the edges smooth BEFORE you go for the gum trag. Dont rely on the stuff to get results, rely on a little elbow grease.

Also, please avoid that edge coat stuff, its messy and always looks off and never really covers poor craftsmanship, the other pro's will back me on this one.

For one thickness, get yourself one of those disk looking burnishers from Tandy, they're white plastic with a little hole in the center and an indention along the outside. Wet the edge and rub briskly with the disk and those edges will do nice and smooth. I use one on all my straps and belts up to ten ounce leather to great results. I'll find the part number for you as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Back