Thinning Contact Cement

Can you use plain ole Laquer Thinner to thin Barge cement?
Try using acetone or methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)

Just for future reference, I looked up the MSDS for Barge Cement and it lists MEK, acetone, and heptane as three of the ingredients. The main ingredient is n-hexane and apparently there is a little bit of isopropyl alcohol in it, just a few percent, though.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk

Try using acetone or methyl ethyl ketone (MEK)

Just for future reference, I looked up the MSDS for Barge Cement and it lists MEK, acetone, and heptane as three of the ingredients. The main ingredient is n-hexane and apparently there is a little bit of isopropyl alcohol in it, just a few percent, though.

Sent from my Champion Forge using Tapatalk
The reason for this question was to use something I already had at my shop instead of buying a $19 plus shipping special can of "Barge" thinner. I used Acetone which I had and it worked fine! I live in a hole in the wall town and 90% of what I do is via internet purchases for my knife stuff! No one has anything here! So I was gonna buy the Barge thinner (cheapest I found was $19 with a $13 frieght charge plus taxes!!). $35 plus bucks for a can of thinner is ridiculous especially when I could have bought a new can of cement for less!!

Back