Thin EDC sheath?

Travis Fry

I was thinking of making a knife about 7" OAL from 1/8" steel and putting 1/8" micarta scales on it to make a super thin and light EDC. I saw a thread elsewhere about fixed blade EDCs being carried in the front or back pocket in a hard leather sheath or something like it. I've been trying to envision such a sheath and am having a a bit of trouble. Any pointers on the design or materials?

Not that hard to do.I do a few of them now and then.Since I love inlay's I usually do one here too, but probably a bit much for a pocket sheath, even though it allows for belt carry as well.The trick to retention on this type is adjusting your welt thickness.Typically it should be about 3/4 the thickness of the blade or in your case 3/32" thick or 5-6 oz.You will also need to wedge the mouth of the sheath for easy entry and just enough to allow some retention on the scales.Sounds tricky but isn't but does allow for a sheath that is very functional.Dave 2thumbs

Here's one I did for a small Strider Fixed blade.
rick1.jpg

rick2.jpg

I carry A CRKT Razel daily in a pocket sheath. Works very well. Mine is in the kydex sheath and I'm seriously thinking about making a leather one for it. Bit softer edges and such.

http://www.grahamknives.com/sheaths.htm

Here's a link to their sheaths page for some ideas.

Small EDC's in a pocket sheath are great. Handy yet low profile.

Charlie

Dave that is a nice sheath. Where do you get those pocket clips?

Agreed, on both counts. It is definitely nice, as your work always is, Dave. I also have to admit that I'm liking that clip a lot more than the plain ones.

As for wordsmith's question, there is also a kind of pocket sheath that is generally pocket-shaped with no clip, I just don't have a picture of one at the moment. Essentially, just imagine a sheath that is shaped like the pocket on the front of your shirt.

~Noah

I frequently carry fixed blades in kydex with no belt loop in my pocket. I also sometimes just slip a small knife with a leather pouch sheath made for a belt into my pocket.

Thanks, that is a William-Henry pocketclip, I got some from my buddy Paul Long.I don't know how many more he has.Dave2thumbs

Back