There are knives that cannot be sharpened.

Fred Rowe

I find these mostly in production knives; blades that because of their secondary bevel grind cannot be made sharp. You can regrind the edge and put a new secondary bevel on the blade but it can't be sharpened.
A couple of examples: one was a brand name folding knife with a 3" blade. It was a visually nice looking knife slick finish and all, a 100 dollar knife I figure. I use a sharpener that can be set at most any angle and I set an angle of 24 degrees in the sharpener, put magic marker along the edge and made a few passes in the sharpener. I changed angles several times as indicated by the missing marker along the edge. It became apparent in short order that something was not as it should be. On closer inspection of the bevel grind, which was a hollow grind, we found why the blade would not take an edge; the bevels had been ground with either too small a wheel or to high on the blade the end result was the blade edge was widening, getting thicker instead of coming to the desired point at the edge.
The second knife was being sharpened with my adjustable sharpener; the same process was used, marking the edge with marker and making a few passes. This was a smaller folder with a 2 1/2" blade. This one was flat ground. After a few passes through the carbides it was obvious something was wrong. It turned out there were two different angles used on the blade. It looked like one side was 11 degrees while the other side was about 15 degrees.
Looks can be deceiving; just because its pretty says nothing about whether the blade has sound geometry.

Do you have any similar stories?

I have a, well let's just say a factory folder that I really like the design of, being an opinionated knifemaker I only found one thing I would adjust (grind off 1/8" of the handle in one spot) and it would be the perfect edc. Unfortunately, the edge was really too thick for my tastes, and the steel does not hold an edge very well despite the fact it is (or was in 2000 when I bought it) made of a premium steel. Hollow grind, thick edge... I convexed the sucker, took the edge right down to zero and gave it just a hint of a secondary bevel (15 degrees none the less) and now it cuts very well, but the steel will still not hold an edge for very long at all. I honestly think the steel was not softened enough in the tempering, it gets micro chips along the edge. I might take it apart and temper the blade just a bit hotter, but if I do that I might as well make a new blade for it, and if I do that I might as well just make me a new knife...

Edges being too thick is the number one problem I see on most knives (hand-made and factory), and unlike uneven grinds and fit&finish problems it really effects the way the knife performs instead of just being a cosmetic problem that only effects the way the knife looks...

Back