The ultimate knife steel reference thread....

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
We need a knife steel champion.... a guy that will nurture this thread and turn it into the ultimate knife steel reference on the interweb.

1. The guy that steps up to be the Steel Guru should have a head start on knowing a thing or two about knife steel.
  2. They will be given moderator status and moderate any negative crap out of the thread with out hesitation. Opinion on knife steels gets heated quickly and entrenched opinions on knife steel performance degenerate into slams and barbs. We aren't doing that.
  3. The Steel Guru will sort fact from opinion and recap the facts into the top message in the thread and leave the opinion postings as they are.
  4. All steels will be compared to 440C as a base. ie CPM154 will out cut 440C by 35% in a CARTA test (I just made that up now as an example)
  5. We need an alloy breakdown for each steel.
  6. We need a heat treat process or two for each steel.
  7. We need to know how the "big 3" are for each stainless steel: edge retention, toughness, corrosion resistance. Non-stainless steels edge retention and toughness.
  8. Anything else

The Steel Guru does not have to be an expert by any means. They just need to help manage this thread with me.

In the mean time, let's start posting information on knife steels and we will get to work on this thing.
t

That's a GREAT idea, and I really like to see info on #4, 6, & 7 items. This could well be a GREAT thread, especially if the moderator can be open minded, and not get "too" hung up on his/her own ideas, but at the same time keep the thread polite, and keep to facts as much as possible without allow "pure opinions" be offered as "facts". There are a few folks on this forum who have the knowledge to do this - I don't have that kind of knowledge, just wish I did.

Good luck with getting this thread going.

Ken H>

Bossdog,

Especially with the heat treat factor in here this sounds like a job for Kevin. I nominate Kevin if you think you can horn waggle him in to it?

reference chart for 440c

Name Bohler Carpenter Crucible
440c 440c 440c
Carbon 1.05 1.12 1.12
chromium 17 17 17
cobalt - - -
manganese .4 1 .4
molybdenum .5 .75 .4
nickel - - -
niobium - - -
nitrogen - - -
phosphorus - .04 -
silicon .4 1 .4
sulfur - .03 -
tungsten - - -
vanadium - - -

If it will be our comparison it should go first. Anyone know how to keep things in columns?

Last edited:
I nominate Kevin if you think you can horn waggle him in to it?

I will second that nomination. There is a lot of good info on the Midwest site that could be copied onto here

Well I'm out for that job, but sure will be pleased to see the appropriate someone take it on ! I'm hoping that the hardnesses for the blades will be as those recommended for that particular steel, not all the same hardness.
Great project, Boss Dog. I hope someone with the knowledge comes to help us out. Frank

Nearly a week since the last post. Hope that link to the Zknives page didn't kill the idea. That page is rich source of information, but doesn't have much of what Boss was suggesting.

I have to agree that standardized tests are desirable - and crucible in particular is pretty good with some of them, but where the heck would we find standardized test results on things like 13C26 vs AEB-L - or Charpy #s for 80CRV2 and Aldo's 1095?

We all know that Mfr. heat treat procedures are rarely intended for knife shapes or uses, so some degree of heat treat 'experience' recipes would also be appropriate.

Anecdotal / opinion stuff is invaluable to the knifemaker as long as it's declared as opinion - ie "CPMS30V darn near impossible to mirror finish" or "1095 can be challenging to heat treat".

Watching with interest....

Rob!

Great idea. There are alot of great steels I have not tried yet because I have not been able to find solid info. So I hope this takes off and you find a guy or possibly a few to help with the process.

ELMAX is a great steel and I have found it to make a awesome cutting tool! Great hardness, edge retention and takes and holds a sweet edge!

Back