Texas History: San Jacinto, Sea of Mud

jkf96a

I've mostly posted this in other places, but thought I'd show off the final product over here. This knife has a bunch of cool history. The blade is 1836 layer Damascus, after the year of Texas' independence. The blade contains nails from the house of Madam Powell, where the Mexican army regrouped after San Jacinto. While they were there, they got news of the capture of Santa Anna and that he told them to go home, so they headed back south. On their journey they got stuck in the "Sea of Mud" in between a couple of flooded rivers. Like most campers, they left a little stuff behind. This knife includes some harness decorations that were excavated from the Sea of Mud camp. You may be familiar with the Sea of Mud knife that was found as well, believed to be a James Black coffin handle. Put it all together, and here's the knife. Photobomb by my kids at the end :)

Man i love how you incorporate history and significant materials into your theme knives. You manage to come up with a design that captures the essence of the story and is true to the era, while throwing in aspects that are unique to you and keep the knife from being just a replica.

I’m constantly amazed. I sincerely hope that one day, a long time from now, the people who hold these knives all get together and make them into a collection that gets displayed at the Alamo or the State Capitol. You are doing a fine job commemorating and honoring Texas history.

Back