Template material

I have a box full of 1/4" plywood and poplar patterns. I do my designs on the computer and stick the printout to the wood with spray glue. I also drill the pattern so I can use a 1/8" transfer punch to mark pin holes.

I mostly use the white fiberglass stuff used on walls in restrooms and in some trailers and such. There was some on the walls of an old semi trailer I just use for storage now and been using pieces of it for years. I think I've seen it in sheets at Home Depot.

I use knife steel. I profile it and drill the holes in it and then harden it. I do not temper it. I can drill right through it and get accurate holes every time. It will not wear out and since I use 1075/1080 it is really cheap.

:rolleyes: I use aluminum road signs, perfect thickness. No I don't go around stealing stop signs:). If your area still uses the aluminum type signs check with your local highway department. Sometimes they will give away signs that have been damaged. I have also found them at the local recycling plant. But the price fluctuates with the price of aluminum.

Hey Bro,I use a plastic sheet quilters use.It's transparent so You can trace your designs right onto the sheet,I get the thickest.I beleive it is .030 thick,You can find it at a sewing store or big craft chain store.You can easily cut it with scissors.:D

when I had a ready supply of O1 plate I would make a blank that would be ready for heat treatment, if I liked the feel and shape, this would then become my template, I now use 1/8 tufnol or MDF

Ian

The ugliest G-10 I can find (so I don't feel obligated to use it). About 1/8 thick so the transfer punches are accurate. :)

Back