Surface Grinder attachment?

BobbyD

Anybody have any experience with OBM‘s surface grinder? Or the Black Fox Surface Grinder ?

Well I guess that none of the more experienced smiths are going to chime in so I'll give you my take as a new maker and say that the OMB certainly works as a advertised. If you are able to rotate your 2x72 and operate it horizontaly its not so much of a workout. Using them in the verticle position is a good upper body exercise!!!( maybe w/ covid and nobody going to the gym thats a good thing.)My OMB made truing and tapering a stock removal blade much faster and more accurate than freehand on a contact wheel. I know some guys use a flat platen and get really good results on tapers... I seemed to grind too thin by the time I got the taper even. Using 4 dimes as spacers to shim the mag bar or Sine? it is very quick to establish tapered tang.Is it worth it? it was to me so I could move on to the joys of learning freehand grinding. A WORD OF CAUTION! The magnet is always on, so dont' get any flesh between the sine bar and blade!!!! I knew that and it still got me when I wasnt paying attention. I'm really happy with the OMB surface grinder attachment but... I am still on my first 25 blades so take my imput for what it is worth. Hope this helps.. I know I really agonized over spending the money but happy I did... Steve

Back