Stocking up on Steel and Other Materials

Absinthe

It would seem like NJSB has decent prices and a good selection, at least as far as high carbon, and stainless but it also looks like shipping is right around $40 no matter what I put in the cart. I assume there would be some math involved to determine how much I need to buy for the price to still be better than Pop's, Jantz, Alpha, Metal Supermarket or USAKM.

Do you normally try to buy from just one supplier? Or the best deal on ABC is from X, and XYZ comes from Y, etc...?
On this note, is it better to keep multiple thicknesses on hand, or just stick with the thicker one that you would use and thin it as necessary?
When making things such as classical folders (minus the big old backpocket knives) does it make sense to order 4" or 6" or even wider, as opposed to ordering 1", 1-1/2", or 2"?

The other things that comes to mind are Brass, Nickel Silver in a thickness appropriate to bolsters. Is there an equivalent to NJSB for such things? I know some of these may do better from jewelry supply places, but I haven't found too many yet.

From what I have been noticing, all the cool kids have given up on brass and nickel silver and moved on to all stainless. Liners, Bolsters, Springs, and Blades. I assume that they are not all the same SS. So how does one choose a SS for a liner/bolster as opposed to blade/spring? I can only assume that it has to do with size availability or cost. But that is just guessing.

Scale/handle materials like micarta must be available in bulk size sheets somewhere, but I have not found them. Suggestions? Is it plausible to actually make one's own micarta? Is it necessary to have the filler like burlap, or can you simply mold clear epoxy with mica's or other pigments?

What kinds of woods are good without pressure pot stabilization? Is simply having a high enough janko score enough?

Where does one get materials like bone (cow femur? giraffe bone?) As well, what about antler/stag/horn and legal ivory like mammoth?

Where does one get materials like bone (cow femur? giraffe bone?) As well, what about antler/stag/horn and legal ivory like mammoth?

You can get bone from Usaknifemakers. Jantz has whole bones from Impala, giraffe.

I suspect steel and shipping prices will continue to go up. Unfortunately.

Mammoth ivory from Texas Knifemaker Supply, Raffir USA, or Fine Turnage.
I usually buy steel from NJSB. I use 52100 and CPM154, and buy around a years worth at a time. Brass and copper from Online Metals. Most of my other stuff I buy from USAKM. As far as making your own composites, you can, but remember that you are only going to get out what you put in. Use quality stuff. I have seen far too many YT videos where people make stuff out of polyester resin and discarded clothes and stuff. It works, but cheap garbage going in means cheap garbage comes out. I don’t use any unstabilized wood so I can’t offer much on that. You can use cast resin for handles, plenty of people do, but I would vacuum degas it and cure it in a pressure pot just to be sure it’s solid. I hear it’s kinda brittle though.

Back