Stitching

A while ago I found out that a seriously ill young male leatherworker had died leaving loads of gear including 2 sewing machines in his will, the downside was his solicitor being the administrator sent it all to auction despite his mother wanting to do a deal with with me.

I have learned that the auction was a flop not yielding much dosh.

Shame.
That’s terrible, and unfortunately par for the course.

Those wheel things are overstitch wheel for leather. The reason for multiple wheels is each one denotes how many stitches per inch, (or how close the stitch holes). Some like the interchangeable wheels and some like to have one for each different stitch layouts! Once you cut the grove for the thread to lay into. Then you run the wheel down groove and it lays out the spacing for the stitches. You use the marks to drill/awl the holes. Then when finished stitching you roll it back over the thread, and it lays down any unruly stitches!!

Here is what the stitching pony looks like! https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=stitching+pony+plans&qpvt=stitching+pony+plans&FORM=IGRE
You can build it where you can sit and use it between your legs or just clamp it down to a flat surface. They are not hard to build!
CC, I am formally requesting a sheath WIP. Lol. I need one bad!

I like the looks of the perfectly round holes versus the diamond-shaped holes the punch gives, looks neater to me and better lined up. The diamond shaped punch can twist in the differing grains in leather and make the hole look misaligned to my eyes.

Those wheel things are overstitch wheel for leather. The reason for multiple wheels is each one denotes how many stitches per inch, (or how close the stitch holes). Some like the interchangeable wheels and some like to have one for each different stitch layouts! Once you cut the grove for the thread to lay into. Then you run the wheel down groove and it lays out the spacing for the stitches. You use the marks to drill/awl the holes. Then when finished stitching you roll it back over the thread, and it lays down any unruly stitches!!

Here is what the stitching pony looks like! https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=stitching+pony+plans&qpvt=stitching+pony+plans&FORM=IGRE
You can build it where you can sit and use it between your legs or just clamp it down to a flat surface. They are not hard to build!

Cliff, can you do a sheath WIP and demonstrate all this? I used to make my own sheaths and I never got good results using your methods.

I have a sheath maker now but I will be doing a mini run of small simple knives where I might make my own sheaths. But I'd sure like to see it done.

Sooner is better than later as this project of mine is approaching quickly. Thanks in advance!

That's the problem with specialty tools. It's a limited group of people who would want them and many of them would be dealers who want to turn around and resale them later so they don't bid much.

Doug

This is exactly the input I was going to give, spot on sir! I believe the overstitcher is the number one tool in making a uniform looking stitch. I have made many hand stitched sheaths look like they were done on a machine with the overstitcher, and many machine stitched sheaths look like they were done poorly by hand without the use of the overstitcher. As C Craft pointed out, the overstitcher lays our the even spacing of your stiches on the leather before you stitch. And with pliable leather and waxed thread, running the overstitcher over the finished job will press the threads into a uniform pattern, matching the original hole layout like a machine had done it.

My good friend Mike (Milo) Leach, one of the old timers of knifemaking, shared this secret with me back when I was just a kid doing the gun and knife show circuit with some very atrocious leather work. I bought an overstitcher, went home a tried it and said "well I'll be darned!" Thanks Mike, you were helpful in so many ways to that young kid who had some much yet to learn.

CC, I am formally requesting a sheath WIP. Lol. I need one bad!

Cliff, can you do a sheath WIP and demonstrate all this? I used to make my own sheaths and I never got good results using your methods.

I have a sheath maker now but I will be doing a mini run of small simple knives where I might make my own sheaths. But I'd sure like to see it done.

Sooner is better than later as this project of mine is approaching quickly. Thanks in advance!

Kevin and John, I would love to do a WIP. Right now is just not a good time!!

Right now the wife is going thru a real bad time and I haven't stepped foot in the shop to do any knife making in a while. Pretty much my time is spent with her. Only when she is resting do I have the time to do anything!
Then I steal a few minutes now and then to offer advice! You never know how precious your good health is till its not good!!

Kevin and John, I would love to do a WIP. Right now is just not a good time!!

Right now the wife is going thru a real bad time and I haven't stepped foot in the shop to do any knife making in a while. Pretty much my time is spent with her. Only when she is resting do I have the time to do anything!
Then I steal a few minutes now and then to offer advice! You never know how precious your good health is till its not good!!
I completely understand ... heck to tell you the truth my lack of time is what made me request a wip lol ... well that and laziness. There’s so much bogus stuff you read out there and it’s a pain to sift through the garbage to find someone who actually knows what they’re talking about. Here it’s so nice because we know we can ask any of you guys questions and -almost take for granted - an instantaneous and 100% trustworthy response. Plus, I’m lazy too lol. But I think if follow your posts so far, I may be able to pull it off.

This is exactly the input I was going to give, spot on sir! I believe the overstitcher is the number one tool in making a uniform looking stitch. I have made many hand stitched sheaths look like they were done on a machine with the overstitcher, and many machine stitched sheaths look like they were done poorly by hand without the use of the overstitcher. As C Craft pointed out, the overstitcher lays our the even spacing of your stiches on the leather before you stitch. And with pliable leather and waxed thread, running the overstitcher over the finished job will press the threads into a uniform pattern, matching the original hole layout like a machine had done it.

Kevin C, you don't know how much it means to me to hear the HT Guru, tell me I am doing anything right!! Even if it is about the other side of the business! LOL

I had to run a minute ago trying to get the wife down for an afternoon nap. Her disease has manifested it self to a new level recently and some of the meds they have her on has had some really bad side effects.

Kevin Z, I have learned it is the little things that make a sheath look great!! The first sheath I ever made was cut from the uppers of my brothers old cowboy boots. My brother thought it was a real good job till he realized it was an old pair of his boots!! Running an edger on all exposed edges of a sheath, except the inner edges of a pouch/pancake sheath. Where they fold together you want the squared edge! Edger.jpgEdgers come in different sizes and each size takes a different amount from the edge. When working the leather to stamp or form. The trick is the amount of wetness to the leather and that is something you can only learn by doing! When I first started I would try to work it too wet most of the time!!

I know a lot of guys hate doing sheaths but, that is the finishing touch to me. When I envision a knife I can almost see the sheath that it needs to go in. I know some of the DVD's Paul Long has out are kind of expensive. However I will tell you this for the type of sheaths that he makes he is the top dog! His work is awesome. A lot depends on the type of knife you build and what you want to do for the sheath.

For the more rustic look, take a look at Daniel Winkler's knives, his older stuff. All of those sheath were made by Karen Shook! She is the best at these kind of sheaths. This link is too some of his earlier works and about the fourth line down is a pic of Daniel and his partner Karen Shook!! https://www.bing.com/images/search?...+and+karen+shook+sheathmaker&FORM=IGREHowever these kind of sheaths is not what most makers are looking for!!

When I first started making knives I had a friend I hunted with tell me how he used to do leather work, then it turned into....
I'll make your sheath's for you. so I started having "possum Jim" { he got that name from one of our hunting foray's } make sheath's for me.
At the time not knowing what a nice sheath really looked like, they were acceptable.....this was pre-internet, pre-cell phone days.

The problem was Jim liked to drink, a lot. so he was undependable, he had to make two trips to sketch the knife because he lost the first one. then he brought me one that had radical changes to it, I said...Jim, this isn't what I wanted. he replied, but I thought it was better this way,...........sure you did, but I'm paying you for these and it's not what I wanted.
So that was that...time to take up leather work. I met a man named Sandy Morrisey at a show and he was nice enough to spend some time with me to help me get started.

Like folks here and abroad I started with a locale Tandy. I don't want to speak badly of Tandy because there a good place to get started but after gaining some experience their leather has much to be desired....in my opinion.
I haven't used Tandy leather in a long time, frankly....I hate it.

Anyhow I'd be happy to show my sheath making process with tips and photos but it would be in a couple weeks. unfortunately, hunting comes first ha ha.
I always wait till I have to make at least two to bust out the leather stuff.
I don't make anything fancy but do get compliments on my sheath's, so I guess I'm doing something right.

It may help some here to get started, I don't drill or punch holes, I use an awl and hand double stitch.
there are some tips I could give while making a simple sheath so as not to screw thing's up.

sFhSFSF.jpg

IQfHmIi.jpg

HtBUsbi.jpg

When I first started making knives I had a friend I hunted with tell me how he used to do leather work, then it turned into....
I'll make your sheath's for you. so I started having "possum Jim" { he got that name from one of our hunting foray's } make sheath's for me.
At the time not knowing what a nice sheath really looked like, they were acceptable.....this was pre-internet, pre-cell phone days.

The problem was Jim liked to drink, a lot. so he was undependable, he had to make two trips to sketch the knife because he lost the first one. then he brought me one that had radical changes to it, I said...Jim, this isn't what I wanted. he replied, but I thought it was better this way,...........sure you did, but I'm paying you for these and it's not what I wanted.
So that was that...time to take up leather work. I met a man named Sandy Morrisey at a show and he was nice enough to spend some time with me to help me get started.

Like folks here and abroad I started with a locale Tandy. I don't want to speak badly of Tandy because there a good place to get started but after gaining some experience their leather has much to be desired....in my opinion.
I haven't used Tandy leather in a long time, frankly....I hate it.

Anyhow I'd be happy to show my sheath making process with tips and photos but it would be in a couple weeks. unfortunately, hunting comes first ha ha.
I always wait till I have to make at least two to bust out the leather stuff.
I don't make anything fancy but do get compliments on my sheath's, so I guess I'm doing something right.

It may help some here to get started, I don't drill or punch holes, I use an awl and hand double stitch.
there are some tips I could give while making a simple sheath so as not to screw thing's up.

sFhSFSF.jpg

IQfHmIi.jpg

HtBUsbi.jpg
Very nice!!! I love all three!!! And yes I would love any assistance in the form of WIP or other means. But no hurry ... I have to hunt too lol.

I think I must be pulling too tight or need to increase space between stitches or use bigger thread??? I’m attaching a pic of my stitches so you can see the difference. I want my string to lay on top ... be more visible.4145A83A-5AA3-4FB3-BAB9-BD4F21AC0499.jpeg

Dang, now THAT'S a close up ha ha.
it's hard to tell but I'd guess your holes are too close. sometimes if you pull TOO tight, you can pull the stitch right thru the leather....then you've got problems.

Back