Steel question / Rail road spikes?

Steve Davis

What kind of steel is this?
I couldn't find it listed on Junkyard steels.
I'm considering using a few pieces in a 9 bar mosaic billet. Other steels in the billet are 1095 & 15N20.

Thanks in advance........Steve

I really have no idea what the steel is...

I do know that unless they have an "H" on the head, they are probably what is called PIG IRON and not worth using.
I have used some of the ones with the "H" and made spike knives out of them.
I believe they probably have around .30-.40 carbon content. They would hold an alright edge when hardened but not drawn back at all...
I was told that the spikes with the "H" were mostly used in high shear situations such as curves and switching areas....

Hope this helps!!

Steve

Steve K is right on the money. RR spikes make cool novelty items, but are pretty much worthless as blades, and because the makeup varies so widely on them, putting the in a damascus billets it at best, risky.

Thanks guys,
I heard several different opinions from a few people; Anything from "heck yeah, they're great steel, I oughtta know I used to work for the rail road."
To "They're garbage, makes a great paperweight."
I'll go with more 01 or 1095.

For sale: 1/2 doz. custom made paperweights. :D

Just a thought... I have heard of guys in our Guild welding a high carbon blade on / in to a railroad spike. The spike becomes the knofe handle... often they will twist the spike or use some other adornment. The spike head is the pommel and they split the tip of the spike to weld in the blade.

Just an idea. :)

For sale: 1/2 doz. custom made paperweights. :D

Your paperweights will sell just fine I happened to get a five gallon bucket of HC labeled spikes. I made 2 dozen knives had no problem selling them to history buffs and rail road enthusiasts as novelty items. They love em! I have had several people buy them and use them for camp knives. I also give them away when demonstrating black smith techniques (showing off) as door prizes. I can usually get $30-$50 each with a rough finish. I plan on making a bunch more this winter.:D Spikes don't make high quality users but some people still love them.

I've seen some really interesting door knockers and other items made from RR spikes - where you could still recgonize the spike for what it was.

That made it interesting.

...but in a mosaic billet, it makes sense to me to just use good steel.

Back