Stainless steel damascus

wmhammond

Hey guys, I've purchased a stainless steel billet from Greg Dion at Dion damascus. It's the first time I've ever worked with Stainless Steel damascus. My question is what should I etch it in? I etch my high carbon damascus in feffic chloride and water mix. Will this work on stainless as well. For some reason I have it in my head that ferric wont etch stainless. Appreciate the help

Wallace

What's required to etch it, is dependent on if the entire billet is stainless, and the type(s) of stainless in the billet. I find it a little suspicious that complete instructions for heat treating AND etching were not included with the purchase.... usually reputable Damascus makers/sellers include those directions with any order/purchase.

If the entire billet is an austenitic stainless (hardenable), I suspect you are going to have to get into some pretty harsh/dangerous stuff to get a good etch. Not that I'm encouraging it, but things such as muriatic acid, heated to just below it's boiling point..... and that is the "mild" stuff. From there on out, you just increase your health risks/hazards.

I looked up the products, and it appears he/they are using non ferric alloys in the mix?? I guess to each his own, but from the standpoint of usability, putting non-ferric alloys into a pattern welded situation is not the wisest choice one could make.

Hey guys, I've purchased a stainless steel billet from Greg Dion at Dion damascus. It's the first time I've ever worked with Stainless Steel damascus. My question is what should I etch it in? I etch my high carbon damascus in feffic chloride and water mix. Will this work on stainless as well. For some reason I have it in my head that ferric wont etch stainless. Appreciate the help

Wallace

What's required to etch it, is dependent on if the entire billet is stainless, and the type(s) of stainless in the billet. I find it a little suspicious that complete instructions for heat treating AND etching were not included with the purchase.... usually reputable Damascus makers/sellers include those directions with any order/purchase.

If the entire billet is an austenitic stainless (hardenable), I suspect you are going to have to get into some pretty harsh/dangerous stuff to get a good etch. Not that I'm encouraging it, but things such as muriatic acid, heated to just below it's boiling point..... and that is the "mild" stuff. From there on out, you just increase your health risks/hazards.

I looked up the products, and it appears he/they are using non ferric alloys in the mix?? I guess to each his own, but from the standpoint of usability, putting non-ferric alloys into a pattern welded situation is not the wisest choice one could make.
I'm not sure about the non-ferric alloys in the mix but isn't it just the coolest look?

Williams makes good stuff. I bought some of his DAM100 Billets (guess he discontinued them) he was selling that for only $28 a billet! I did buy the last 4 Billets he had. If his SS Damascus is as nice as his Hi-Carbon you should end up with a nice end product! This pic is the DAM100 Billet. My Billet did not come with any instructions either. I just emailed him my questions and he got back to me.

PS-Opaul is the one that turned me on to them.

Attachments

• 20200824_192154.jpg
    20200824_192154.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Back