sizing damascus?

cunningham

I have a press which I am extremely happy with, however, I have trouble getting my billets less than 1/4" thick, and 1/8 is almost impossible.
Is there a tool that would be best to get this last little bit? Hammer? Roller mill? The only blanchard grinder in my part of the world has proven completely unreliable.
Also, building anything is out of the question, I just don't have time.
Thanks, Chad

That's a drawback to the press.....once something gets less than 1/4" thick, the dies suck the head out of the billet so quickly going any further can be a challenge. The same thing often happens with a rolling mill, although to a bit lesser degree. Out of the options you mentioned, a Power Hammer is the best choice. Where the press sucks the heat from a billet, using a hammer will actually add heat due to the friction of the strike.

I have a set of drawing dies and use a shim of the correct thickness between them to act as a stop. There is less surface area with the rounded faces of the drawing dies and less heat loss compared to a larger flat die that tends to simply flatten and suck the heat out of the bar. I use the flat dies when it is very close to desired thickness.
Hope this helps.

Bruce, that does help. I may be worrying to much about the number of heats it is taking me to get where I want to be.
Thanks, Chad

Back