Simple knife design program??

I use Inkscape. It's the open source (free) version of Adobe illustrator. Works really well for knife designs.

I'm looking for what I wish to change to since Draftsight has decided no more free version for hobby use. While $400 or so is fairly cheap compared to AutoCAD it's still MUCH more than I'm prepared to pay for hobby use. I'm playing around with Inkscape, but think Fusion 360 might be more powerful. BUT - I really like the idea of Inkscape being openscource.

Inkscape as well-- can actually use a pic or drawing you made and import it into Inkscape and use that as a base for your template.
Lots of great tutorials on YT

I use CAD...AFTER I have a real nice sketch...lol.Then I scan my sketch and CAD my lines over it. Do NOT let any CAD program "drive" your design....or you will end up with a sterile looking gas station knife.

I also copy my sketchs and sometimes glue it to wood and saw it out for "feel" if I think it necessary...the computer is a great way to save designs...but not really a short-cut.

I use CAD...AFTER I have a real nice sketch...lol.
Ted: Interesting statement, perhaps because it so closely reflects my own thinking. Before retirement doing a dwg I'd tend to always do a rough outline at least on paper to get an idea down, then to the CAD program. Of course where the same dwg is used with just terminal numbers and instrument numbers changed the same dwg is used over 'n over again - that's one of the BIG time savers using CAD vs paper dwg'ings.

Yes...and on proven designs mods are easy...I want to make a small skinner off my cowboy design...a bit of blade change and that's it...easy to do in CAD.

I'm looking for what I wish to change to since Draftsight has decided no more free version for hobby use. While $400 or so is fairly cheap compared to AutoCAD it's still MUCH more than I'm prepared to pay for hobby use. I'm playing around with Inkscape, but think Fusion 360 might be more powerful. BUT - I really like the idea of Inkscape being openscource.

First I’m hearing about DS scrapping their freeware. That really stinks, though maybe they’ll see a rapid enough decline in users that they reverse their new policy. I don’t really see how they’ll compete when Fusion 360 is still in the game. Yeah, fusion is primarily a 3D program, but you can still make due.
I imagine other opensource/freeware CAD programs will up their games too.

I’ve been using solid edge From Siemens - it’s free and seems to have a lot of features. Bit of a learning curve but not too bad.

Back