simple 7" w2 hamon, copper, full tang

kevin - the professor

Hello Everyone,
this one is another simple one. I wanted to get a little warm up in before I try a full-sized blade as part of a collaboration with Bubba san. This was to give me some fun and let me get the heat control dialed in with my new forge. I am better with heat control with this one, and I like it a lot (the forge). This knife is a good one. I plan to give it and the last cable of same style to my father and his female friend (she hunts, too).

You can tell from the hamon on this, the cable blade, and the dagger that I posted, that I have better heat control with this forge. It is nice. Two burners but with one removable, both venturi. I can go from just heating 4 inches to welding heat for a 4" length with one burner or a good 9-10" welding section even if the steel is 2" thick with both burners. With both in, I can burn the carbon out if I am not careful, but having two dialed to med/low heat gives me a long area to heat treat swords and such. I highly recommend this forge - I can use less propane in this one which has a 4" x 3.5" x 14" cavity than I did with my 2.5" diameter x 13" previous forge. Of course, I can almost turn my garage into a sunspot if I put both on full blast, but I don't need to do that, even to weld.

Hope you guys like it. I love the hamon on it, and the texture on the spine. The only downside to that texturing is it makes the grind lines wobble a little. I think I have the "feel" of my new equipment.

thanks for looking.

Kevin

edited to add: I broke down and polished the copper on the bolsters to a 600 grit ao belt and then finished with a felt belt loaded with green chrome. I use the slack portion of that belt in stropping/final honing, and I use that belt over the contact wheel a lot like a buffer but it is not as "grabby." just my preference.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hey Kevin,
Nice knife. I really like the hamon work you do and the blade shape on this one is very nice. Looks like a very comfortable grip. Wade

thanks Wade - due to suggestions from people I like, I broke down and polished the copper and put more radius into the transition at the bolster.

Wade - I think you are down in Florida, right? No chance of making Ashokan, are you? It would be nice to shake your hand some day.

take care,
kc

Attachments

• IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 13