Show off your favorite Hammers ! I'll start...

Josh Dabney

It's been forever since had anything really to showoff on the forums, and still don't really :biggrin:

But... I have been working alot towards reaching one of my goals recently and that involves alot of forging grinding chopping cutting testing etc so I thought I'd snap a few pics of my BARGAIN BASEMENT forging hammers to share with the dogs.

When setting up to forge at home I was having a little trouble getting my steel to move in the direction I wanted with the 1 hammer I had so I decided I needed a few more hammers with more specific faces. Being typically broke I ran to harbor freight to see what I could find to experiment with.

This first one is a 2# Drilling hammer on sale for $2.99 . I picked up a couple of these just due to the price but this one got made into a straight pein with the opposite face crowned for moving steel in the left-right direction. Probably half hour of hogging this sucker with a wore out 40x Blaze belt and voila- $3 forging hammer :biggrin:
014.jpg

015.jpg

Here it is with an untouched original (reserved for an angle pein)
017.jpg

I think this one was spendy at $5 but figured I could make a reasonably suitable "japanese" style hammer from it. It's shaped specifically for forging in bevels. I like round face especially for working back toward the plunge area. I considered grinding the ball end off but decided to leave it as-is. Cut the handle a bit shorter and shaped it a little too.
019.jpg

This hammer was a gift from my pal Rob Gardner. It's also a japanese-ish design he forged from a Stanley hammer head. This one is not too heavy with short handle and has a wide rectangle shaped face thats fairly flat. I've been using this one mainly as a finishing hammer and it does a great job.
024.jpg

I've got a couple other cross peins also but need to pick up something a little heavier for really moving some steel around.

Anyhow I thought I'd start a "show off your hammer" thread just for fun. Please share what your swinging !

Take care hammer heads ! :biggrin:

Josh

Back