Short stubby skinner

KentuckyFisherman

Yeah, I'm a word guy and have a thing for alliteration. This is my latest project, putting maple burl scales on a Damascus blank. Can't remember where I got the blank, but I'm hoping it isn't the kind you can clamp in a vice and easily bend 90 degrees without it breaking (for those who saw the video). It has black G10 liners that match the dark veins of the burl. The wood really reminds me of snakes and whitetail antlers, the dark kind, so I used those in the photo. I finally understand about finishing the front of the scales, where they meet up with the steel, BEFORE you do your glue-up. The dark rings around the pins don't bother me in this knife, but I might want to avoid it on certain scales. Is that a matter of how tight the pins fit, or what?

IMG_1916.jpg

Looks good! Dark rings around the pins might be a result of getting them too hot while power sanding and they start to burn the wood. I've had that happen a couple of times.

Natural woods will sometimes take up epoxy it the pin holes, leaving a darkened effect. Hole clearance is also important. I like about .003" max oversize holes. So a corby that measures .247" I drill with a 1/4", or a #11 for 3/16", for example.

Back