Sherline 5400 3 axis cnc upgrade.

Fred Rowe

My son, Kevin and I have been busy despite the cold this winter. We have been working to upgrade the Sherline 5400 mini mill to 3 axis cnc. I put the table together and did the physical mounting of the monitor and the wiring; Kevin mounted the drives and took care of the programming. The kit, that came from Sherline was $1,000 complete other than the limit switches and the computer; which my son had half a dozen of them laying about. We have about $1,250 in the conversion. The build is fairly straight forward when it comes from Sherline. We could have gotten the parts a little cheaper but we did not want to botch the hook ups and play with the mountings.

DSC02195.JPG

DSC02198.JPG

DSC02203.JPG

Neat. You will LOVE the CNC. Are you using Linux or windoz machine? That is larger, stronger than my dinky CNC, but I still have fun with it.

Ken

Neat. You will LOVE the CNC. Are you using Linux or windoz machine? That is larger, stronger than my dinky CNC, but I still have fun with it.

Ken
-

Hi Ken! it comes with Linux software using G-code. We have a J head Bridgeport that uses Windows 7 and is pc based that we use to run our larger parts. I hope to use this smaller one a bit; its amazing the software programs they have for them; they can do just about everything but make a good knife.
Fred

Back