Sheath Stitching

Casey Brown

So, what does everyone use for stitching your sheaths? I have been using 1mm waxed thread and a saddle stitch, and the stitches just look tiny. I pull the stitches pretty tight, so maybe I'm overdoing that. Just trying to see if others use other size thread, different stitches, etc.

The saddle stitch is the only stitch that you will ever need to know. I use a waxed nylon thread which I pull up snugly before I pass the needle through from the other side. A larger stitching wheel (fewer teeth per inch) will make the stitches look larger. Save the smaller wheel (more teeth per inch) for stitching in inlays.

If you don't have one, a stitching pony will make your job a lot easier. It's like having a third hand to hold the work.

Doug

I was also interested in the thread size. I'm using 1 mm, however, I've seen different thread sizes, #69, #207, #277, etc. for sewing machines and such.

I mark the stitch pattern with a "overstitch tool" using a 5 stitches per inch wheel. Then drill each hole with a drill size just slightly SMALLER than the needle diameter. Everything is currently saddle stitched. My "thread" of choice is waxed, artificial sinew. I prefer it because it lays flat, and when pulled tight (I pull the stitching tight ever 3 stitches as I sew) it stays tight.

Eventually, I plan on purchasing a sewing machine..... likely a Tippman Boss, but I'm waiting to see where my health issues take me.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

I'm glad to hear you say that, Ed. I just ordered some artificial sinew a couple of days ago. Should get here right after Christmas. Looking forward to trying it out.

You should love it. It's the same as the waxed nylon thread that I referred to. Be careful what you order though. there is also an artificial sinew that is more of a lacing material. Makes a real funky lace but would be good for making a buckskin sheath.

Doug

i use waxed dacron thread that is used to make bow strings. and the lay out tool that ED spoke of. i also drill the stitching holes on a drill press. plus i have double stitched to make the seam stand out. i use the 2 needle saddle stitch.

During my research on a Tippmann Boss machine, I was looking at various types of thread....mainly because I'm hoping to be able to make the stitches lay nice and flat, like they do with the waxed sinew/by hand. I found this..... (MonoThread)..... https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BNL346YELD12Mn With it being the end of year....and tax time coming soon, I might just have to jump on a Tippman this week..... it's either that or give to Uncle Sugar. :)

I got the artificial sinew, and sewed up a belt loop today. I like it! Looks really good, especially compared with what I was using.

I don't drill the holes as Gary mentioned, I use the drill press to press a curtain needle chucked up in it through the leather without the motor running. I use a board with two holes drilled in it clamped to the stage. One hole is in the center to use when the leather can be laid flat and another right at the edge for when folding the leather would keep it from laying flat and allowing the needle from going from one stitching groove to the stitching groove on the other side of the sheath.

I do, however, drill holes for lacing with a bench drill.

Doug

There are some good multi hole punches available but expensive, the bench drill is my best option but my eyesight is crap and I am very slow and always make 1 or 2 mistakes.

So, I've started using a combination of the stitching wheel, followed by a very shallow punch with a leather pricking tool as a starter hole. Then I finish by drilling on the drill press. The wheel gives me a good "guide" pattern, and the pricking tool gives me a "pilot" hole to drill. I've found I make fewer mistakes, and more consistent holes while drilling. Also, it is hard for me to always see the pattern left solely by the stitching wheel when I'm trying to drill. Still figuring it out though.

Back