Sharpening serrated edges.

Fred Rowe

How do you go about Sharpining serrated edges.

Can anyone tell me how to sharpen a serrated edge by hand? What does it take?

Fred

Last edited:
The only thing that's worked for me is if I have a file &/or stone that is round or has a rounded edge - but slightly smaller radius than the serration ... so for a knife with big-small-small-big-small-small serrations it takes two file/stone - one big radius one small radius. PITA.

Fred i use a spyerco sharpener. works great , gets them real sharp doing only the grooved side. nothing on the backside.
i use the triangle stones
vern

I have a set of Spyderco "Ceramic Files" that are shaped to fit the various shaped serrations used by spyderco. Thankfully, most companies use the same or very similar serration patterns.

Fred i use a spyerco sharpener. works great , gets them real sharp doing only the grooved side. nothing on the backside.
i use the triangle stones
vern

I do the same but with an occasional use of the stones on the backside - just helps knock the edge right a bit, I think.

Fred if the edge is beat up real bad I use a fine diamond hone . I sharpen gut hooks with them too but I dont stop there then I finish off with the cratex bullet abrasive bit. Its like a hard rubber bullet shaped bit that is used in your dremmel tool . slowly very slow and works pretty good. Ive only sharpend a few but it sure beats doing them with a ceramic rod. Jantz sells them maybee Tracey does too.

Back