Scandi grind question

2DOGSSOULY

Hi I have just ordered a Wilkinson sword Dartmoor blank it is tempered to 57 Rockwell but has no grind.

How do I put a scandi grind on it without putting heat into the blade the blank is 8mm thick so a lot of metal to remove.

I do not have work shop facilities but I do have a Tormak whetstone grinder, is this suitable? as I think it would be too slow and take too much ware on the stone.

what angle does it require for a scandi grind ?

Are there any knife makers that would grind it for me and if so how much would it cost.

If you put this question on google along with Saber grind many diagrams etc will come up.

You could do it on a Tormek if you are good with one. One way is you would do three small bevels and then blend them together.

If you can post some pictures of this blade it would help?

If you put this question on google along with Saber grind many diagrams etc will come up.

You could do it on a Tormek if you are good with one. One way is you would do three small bevels and then blend them together.

If you can post some pictures of this blade it would help?

Thank you for the replyhttp://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=dTP7pVHBJbn77M&tbnid=I8DxOUkPJhm87M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpaulkirtley.co.uk%2F2011%2Fdartmoor-survival-knife%2F&ei=_WyxUv6OGarI0QWpk4EQ&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4&psig=AFQjCNF-ALtk2SSsdzZawCKWMYahfO0Brg&ust=1387445884632461

The is the link looks a bit big !

the blade shown in the picture is a finished production model .Mine is an 8mm slab same shape with saw back but no primery or secondary grind

I think you would be a bit disappointed putting a scandi edge on something that thick! Thickest I have liked is somewhere around 4.5mm and even then it felt like it was pushing it.

Ideally look up filing jig if you have no equipment, really easy to make. As far as angles, a scandi traditionally has 10-12.5 degrees a side. I make a few with 15 degrees a side but with 3/32 thick stock. Personally, grind a primary bevel at roughly 5 degrees a side until the edge is about .020 thick, then put a secondary microbevel on at around 20 degrees a side. You will be MUCH happier with said grind then a scandi on something 5/16 thick

I tend to agree with Timy that a blade that thick with a Scandi would be what I refer to as a knife/axe. If thats what you want for heavy chopping that you would be fine? It may be a little thick for lighter slicing/cutting tasks?

Back